function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Fraser SteenFraser Steen 

Cross object formulas and field autopopulation

Background:

Our support processes require us to have 2 people assigned to eah case, an owner and an assignee. The owner is responsible for the resolution of the case and chasing up assignees whist the assignees are required to perform individual tasks to resolve a case (eg a software release).

General Problem:

Salesforce will send out notifications happily to case owners but I need activity notifications to also go to assignees too. I have created a new custom field called assigned_to__c which is a lookup(User) field. I would like to set up notifications using a workflow rule however this can only be done using the specific email field type.

Workaround:

My solution was to setup a separate hidden field assigned_to_email__c which would be autopopulated with the email of the user specified in the assigned_to__c field.

Questions:

I have not yet had to use formulas, cross object or otherwise so I have a couple of questions

1. I am not sure how best to approach this, should I use the formula to populate the field automatically or should I use a forumla in a workflow rule to do it

2. What syntax do I need to use to reference the User specified in assigned_to__c? Can anyone provide me with an example, idealy with a brief explanation as I expect I will have to do similar operations for other processes I am developing.

Thanks

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SwarnasankhaSwarnasankha

Since you already have a Lookup to the User object named "Assigned To", you will not need any additional Email field to send an email using a Workflow Email Alert.

When you attempt to create a Workflow Email Alert, perform the following:

1. For the  'Recipient Type', click on the drop down for 'Search:' and you will find an entry named "Related User"
  2. Click to choose "Related User"
  3. Immediately, the list for 'Available Recipients' will be populated with two entries - Related User: Last Modified By and Related User: Assigned To
  4. Add 'Related User: Assigned To' to the list for 'Selected Recipients'

All Answers

SwarnasankhaSwarnasankha

Since you already have a Lookup to the User object named "Assigned To", you will not need any additional Email field to send an email using a Workflow Email Alert.

When you attempt to create a Workflow Email Alert, perform the following:

1. For the  'Recipient Type', click on the drop down for 'Search:' and you will find an entry named "Related User"
  2. Click to choose "Related User"
  3. Immediately, the list for 'Available Recipients' will be populated with two entries - Related User: Last Modified By and Related User: Assigned To
  4. Add 'Related User: Assigned To' to the list for 'Selected Recipients'

This was selected as the best answer
Fraser SteenFraser Steen

Superb, you managed to provide me with the help that Salesforce were unable to.

Very pleased to know my installation will not have to be full of nasty hacks to get this to happen.