function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Fly_MJFly_MJ 

Validation- with many fields can it be done

I'm green so be gentle :smileyhappy: I'm more of an architect looking to move or rebuild an app on force.com and I'm looking to make sure that the key parts of this app will be able to be built with Force.com

The functionality I'm looking for or testing is this...  I will have a table with of over 15,000 codes or values that will grow soon to over 60,000 codes-  This table will serve as a Lookup to another table in which there will be about 36 possible fields in which codes will be entered from the "lookup" table

We want to be able to more or less build a rules engine-  starting with simple ones such as  no code can be the same in any of the 36 fields.  Then move to creating more complex to things like  if field 1= X  then   Field 17  can't be this, this , this, this, this ,this....so what if the list of what can't go in the field is huge like 200 or more.

When they type in these fields they wil only be able to enter values that are in the lookup table.  This is more of user interface type question but maybe someone knows-  can you enter a value in a field and have it validate or work these "rules" on the fly versus filling out the whole "form and then validating??  Thanks much!

kyle.tkyle.t

Out of the box, I don't think you will find this to be very difficult... What you may be looking to do is create a visualforce page that allows for ajax updates as the user steps out of each field.  The ajax updates would call a controller which would handle all of the business rules that you are implementing.  I can't say that you will find this easy to do and if you don't have a developer you will probably want to look into hiring a consultant with salesforce.com development experience.