function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
carramrodcarramrod 

Field update to Proper Case.

I'm trying to do a field update to proper case, and since there isn't any propercase function in the formula editor, i'm kind of at a loss.
I want to take 123 EASY sT. suite 203 = 123 Easy St. Suite 203
Any help is appreciated.
ScrapsScraps
Agreed, any ideas?
rpr2rpr2
This isn't a great solution, but what I do is periodically extract data to Excel, and use the Proper() function there and then re-import to Salesforce.
ScrapsScraps

Hi,

That's a good solution, thanks for your help. I will mention that i'm getting tired of using the excel connector for all my workarounds. I've coded a number of workbooks to periodically update fields that can't be updated in Salesforce - hopefully some greater "in-built" functionality will be available in the future.

JakesterJakester
To this right, it's a bigger challenge than it seems on the surface. For example, how about McDonald street? That would get changed to Mcdonald. There are many other examples, I'm sure. This could definitely be done, either using Apex and a trigger or a fairly simple s-control, if you're ok with always clicking a button to activate the code. I just want to point out that it's not that Salesforce can't do this, and it's not that it's an easy problem to solve well, either. If you want this coded, may I recommend www.ezsaas.com - they are pros at this kind of work.

Message Edited by Jakester on 09-16-2008 09:26 AM
rpr2rpr2

DemandTools' Mass Impact module has a built-in Proper() function that I never used, but tested it out today and it is way better than Excel's.  This is still a data cleansing function after-the-fact, rather than when the record is created, but I was super-impressed with the results.  It catches things such as McDonald and a whole lot of other things that I was adjusting manually in Excel.  You can find out more about DemandTools on Appexchange.

Message Edited by rpr2 on 09-16-2008 09:26 AM
ScrapsScraps

Just noticed where the previous administrator had this set up:

upper(left(OVSuburb__c,1)) & lower(trim(mid(OVSuburb__c,2,60)))

JakesterJakester
That would work on a lot of single-word entries, but not on all (such as McDonald) and would not work on anything with more than two words.
ScrapsScraps
i'm sure a formula could be built with if's and find's to handle most situations
JakesterJakester
I'm going to go out on a limb and say your confidence must be based largely on not trying. Give it a whirl, and then get back to us on just how easy it is. I'd actually go so far as to say it can't be done, at least if you want it to accommodate even 80% of phrases that have 5 or more words.
ScrapsScraps
I didn't say i was going to do it :)