function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
AdeleAdele 

Simple question: How do you link a contact field with an account field?

I have created a new field in my contact, called industry. I'd like to link this field, Industry, with the actual Industry field that I have in my account.
My goal is when I view My contact List, I can see quickly the name, company and Industry of the company.

Is there an automatic way I can create this link. I have about 800 contacts and I don't really want to enter manually the kind of industry, each contact belongs too while I have this information in the account of the contact?

Thank you for your help
NPMNPM

Assuming you have Enterprise Edition, and there may be other ways that involve programming skills but barring that the only way I have found I am able to do this is by looking at it as synching up the fields whenever  the Contact record is saved by using a cross object workflow/field update.  I have not done this with Contacts, but have done it with a custom object and have seen it done with Cases.  The workflow triggers every time a record is saved in the custom object and the field update copies an Account field to the field in the custom object record. 

The equivalent in your case would be when the Contact record is saved the workflow would trigger updating Contact/Industry with Account/Industry.

The rule would be on the Contact object and the evaluation criteria would be Every time a record is created or edited  The Rule criteria would be something like LEN( Account__r.Industry ) >= 0       This will make the rule always meet the criteria and always trigger on a Save of a Contact record. 

The field update Workflow would be setup to have the field to update be Industry and The field update formula would be something like Account__r.Industry 

It will not automatically update your 800 records until such time as you again save them though, but it will keep them in synch when they are edited/Saved. 

Hope this helps.  To update them all at once you may need to look at doing a mass update with Data Loader but you would need to create a .csv file with a column with Contact ID and one with Industry.    

AdeleAdele

I am not a tech person! is there a very easy way I can do that?!!

How do you know which version of Salesfoce you have?

NPMNPM
Go to Set Up/Order Center/Subscription Summary and you should see what type of licenses you have.

I believe the workflow approach is the simplest way without programming (Sometimes members of the communty offer up code you can use).  But, you should be able to do it.  Give it a try, you can not hurt anything.  If you fail a few times (or even more) you are just like every other Admin out there.   You will feel great once you get it working.:smileyvery-happy:

AdeleAdele
I have the professional Edition licence. Does it change anything as the option you presented?

NPMNPM

Yes - I do not believe you have workflow with Professional Edition so you can not go that route.

I do not have another option for you, sorry.  Maybe someone else who reads this board has an idea.

NPMNPM

I saw this in another post.  Maybe these folks can help you out.  They reference an S-Control that puts State on a task.  Maybe they can help you with one that puts Industry in a Contact.  I understand S-COntrols are available in Professional Edition.   Try asking them in this post:

http://community.salesforce.com/sforce/board/message?board.id=custom_formula&thread.id=1648