function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MarkL.ax269MarkL.ax269 

Force.com IDE partial deployment problem

Yesterday I needed to deploy a minor change to an scontrol to my production org and ran into a serious problem.  This is the first time I've tried this other than a test trigger.  I made the change in sandbox and tested it, then selected Deploy to Server and ran into a buzzsaw.
  1. The IDE wanted to sync everything, which for some reason includes a lot of things that have not changed.  This is related to the synchronization issue I noted in my last post in this thread: Force.com IDE Synchronization Issue
  2. I deselected everything and then selected only the one scontrol I needed to update.  Validation failed because I have several triggers I am working on in the sandbox which are nowhere near ready for production, and do not currently have test coverage.  Apparently it validates everything, even when not selected!
This prevented me from using deployment and I had to update that scontrol.  So I bypassed good change control and simply pasted in the update directly into the production UI!

So are we seriously expected to cover even developmental triggers/classes with test methods, when all we need to do is update a simple scontrol?  That's silly.  There should be a way to selectively deploy exactly what we want without trying to sync everything, and on validation it should only look at what is selected.

Mark
paul-lmipaul-lmi
had the same problem.  i had to back up the project (just in case), then delete it and re-add it to eclipse.  i'm sure there's a more graceful way, but this was quickest for me.
CloudMikeCloudMike
I just ran into the same problem and I'm using the latest version of the Force.com IDE (Version Winter '09 (14.0.1)) so this is still a major issue in my book.

I'm only trying to deploy 2 new objects I created and for some reason its running the Test script to an unrelated and NOT checked class as part of the Deployment Validation.  I'm not trying to deploy this class which is still in development.

Here's what the output log looks like:
Code:
*** Deployment Log ***
Result: FAILED
Date: November 18, 2008 12:39:10 PM EST

# Deployed From:
   Project name: xxx - Sandbox
   Username: xxx@xxx.com.sandbox
   Endpoint: test.salesforce.com

# Deployed To:
   Username: xxx@xxx.com
   Endpoint: www.salesforce.com

# Deploy Results:
   Name:    objects/Seat_Band_Group__c.object
   Action:  UPDATED
   Result:  SUCCESS
   Problem: n/a

Name:    objects/Seat_Band__c.object

Name:    package.xml

# Test Results:

Run Failures:
  PricingScenarioForCloningControllerExt.testPricingScenarioForCloningControllerExt 
System.DmlException: Insert failed. First exception on row 0; first error:
FIELD_CUSTOM_VALIDATION_EXCEPTION, Reseller is required for "Partner Only"
order: [Reseller__c] Average test coverage across all Apex Classes and Triggers is 55%, at least
75% test coverage is required

Can someone explain why deployments are now failing?

URGENT assistance would be appreciated!

CloudMikeCloudMike
So no one has a clue why deployment in the Winter '09 version of Force.com IDE isn't working or why it continues to validate against a component that isn't selected for deployment?

Is it possible that it is validating against a version of the already deployed component?

paul-lmipaul-lmi
when you deploy, it runs all testmethods in the target org afaik.
CloudMikeCloudMike
Yeah, I kind of gathered that by the results but thanks for confirming Paul!

However, now I have no way to update that class that's already in Production.  And I haven't heard back from anyone at Salesforce.com tech support on this issue.

I'm dead in the water for deploying anything other than scontrols!

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 11-21-2008 10:43 PM