function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
OCDGeekOCDGeek 

IDE project creation fails on Mac for versions 13 and 14

Using a Mac, I have downloaded Eclipse 3.3.2 and installed the WST and Force.com IDE per the instructions. Installation appears to install correctly, but when I go to add a new Force.com project I get an error in the project creation dialog box upon clicking the Next button.

Error:
Unable to connect to hostname 'www.salesforce.com'

Method not implemented

If I download version 12 of the IDE, I can create a Force.com project using the same settings.

Any ideas on how to resolve the issue would be greatly appreciated.
OCDGeekOCDGeek
Below are the errors from the logs:

!ENTRY com.salesforce.ide.core 2 0 2008-10-29 10:41:47.592
!MESSAGE WARN [2008-10-29 10:41:47,591] (ProjectController.java:getRemotePackageNames:762) - Unable to get project packages for project 'Sales': Method not implemented.

!ENTRY com.salesforce.ide.core 2 0 2008-10-29 10:41:47.627
!MESSAGE WARN [2008-10-29 10:41:47,623] (ProjectOrganizationPage.java:prepareNextPage:233) - Unable to load org details - package names and component enablement

Here are the last few lines of the stack:

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Method not implemented.
at java.net.URLStreamHandler.openConnection(URLStreamHandler.java:80)
at java.net.URL.openConnection(URL.java:990)
at com.sforce.ws.transport.JdkHttpTransport.connect(JdkHttpTransport.java:67)
at com.sforce.ws.transport.SoapConnection.send(SoapConnection.java:88)
at com.sforce.soap.partner.wsc.PartnerConnection.login(PartnerConnection.java:1269)
at com.salesforce.ide.core.remote.Connection.login(Connection.java:232)
at com.salesforce.ide.core.remote.Connection$$FastClassByCGLIB$$8e61a81d.invoke()
at net.sf.cglib.proxy.MethodProxy.invoke(MethodProxy.java:149)
SomeshSomesh
When you installed a later version, did you remove the previous versions? if not then please do.
Do check the /plugins and /features folder too to ensure that only the 14.0 related jars are present.
OCDGeekOCDGeek
This is a clean install of Eclipse and the Force.com IDE.
OCDGeekOCDGeek
Looks like the problem was using Pulse to set up my Eclipse environment. When setting it up manually, I was able to create a version 14 project.
SomeshSomesh
I am curious as to what changed.
What was Pulse doing that you had to remove to get it working?
was it an eclipse.ini setting or a jdk compliance setting or a jre setting or something else...

Thanks
OCDGeekOCDGeek
I'm not sure what was missing. Pulse (at least the free version) doesn't allow fine-grained control over the different packages that are installed since the purpose of Pulse is to make it easy to setup Eclipse workspaces. I just manually installed Eclipse separately to get it working.

Note: This is NOT a Mac-specific problem. I installed on Windows, again using Pulse, and got the same error, then installed manually and it worked.

Message Edited by OCDGeek on 10-29-2008 12:24 PM