function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CloudMikeCloudMike 

Code Completion not working in Force.com IDE - Urgent

I've just updated the Force.com IDE to version 13.0.0.2000806130415 and for the life of me cannot figure out why the code completion functionality isn't working.  I've got the Force.com perspective open but no code completion assistance appears.

For example, I'm working in a new Apex page and trying to get some assistance with any tags, like <apex:dataTable> tag and nothing.  I've also tried using the "System." global variable reference from inside a new class (as mentioned in a previous post) and nothing.  Very frustrating and is causing me to write the code using the Developer Pane through the browser.  This has slowed my productivity to a crawl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Mike
CloudMikeCloudMike
Ok, perhaps someone might be able to point me in the right direction?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
JonPJonP
Mike,

Code completion in the Apex Code editor is currently limited to static language keywords.  It does not support completion for user-defined variables, attributes, or methods.

Jon
CloudMikeCloudMike
Hey Jon, thanks for your reply!

That would be fine if it worked, but that doesn't even work.  The only thing that is working is the HTML code assist.  No static apex language keywords word at all.  I can type <apex:  and get nothing, no hint of any kind.

Any ideas?  Are you running the latest version of the Force.com IDE as listed in my first posting?  I could have sworn it was working before I upgraded to the last version.

Thanks again for any assistance,
Mike
JonPJonP
Mike,

Code completion for static Apex types works in the Apex Code editor, not in the Visualforce Page editor.  The Visualforce Page editor does syntax highlighting and will close HTML tags (e.g. when you type "</"), but the Summer '08 IDE release doesn't do much more than that.

Jon
CloudMikeCloudMike
Thanks Jon!  Unfortunately that's not what I wanted to hear but it finally explains the problem.  So to confirm your explanation, The VisualForce page editor only code assists HTML and not <apex:...> tags and the like, correct?

Again, I appreciate your clarification!
JonPJonP
Yes, for the time being that's what it does.