function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BerlinGuyBerlinGuy 

Lead assignment rule: cannot check the "Do Not Reassign Owner" checkbox

Hi,

I am using a few lead assignment rules, which need to work ONLY on lead creation, and not on update. To that end, I tried to check the "Do Not Reassign Owner" checkbox in the rule's edit page, but when I save the rule, the checkbox returns to be unchecked! And of course, the rule reassigns the owner on any update of the lead. Any idea why I cannot check the "Do Not Reassign Owner" checkbox??

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
BerlinGuyBerlinGuy

Thanks for your answer, it helped me find a simple solution:

My first rule entry is a formula: NOT(ISNEW()), and the "Do Not Reassign Owner" checkbox is checked. Now, whenever a lead is edited, none of the other entries is checked. But when a lead is created this first entry evaluates to false and then the other entries are chekced.

All Answers

BerlinGuyBerlinGuy

I could actually check the checkbox - but only if leave the user textbox empty - but in this case what is the use of this assignment rule??!

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Its purpose is an anti-owner-changing effect. If the rule entry matches its criteria, then all further entries beyond that one are not evaluated. During the re-assignment phase of record processing, a rule entry with "Do Not Reassign Owner" prohibits a change of ownership. This was introduced because the original lead assignment feature always changed the owner (if the rule ran out of entries to match against, the default lead owner became the new owner).

You can use this as the Order 1 entry, which allows you to disable lead assignment by short-circuiting the entire rule. Also, you could use it as the Order N entry (where N is the last entry in the list), which has the effect of preventing the Default Lead Owner from taking ownership of the record. Of course, you can use it in any Order position if you'd like to stop evaluation of the rule entries at any time during the rule evaluation, without changing the lead ownership (this is probably the less common usage of this feature).

In your case, you might use "NOT(ISNEW())" as the formula to disable a rule from evaluating if the record is an existing lead. Just remember to place any entries that do not depend on the record being a pre-existing record before that entry, since any rule entry after such a formula would have no effect.

BerlinGuyBerlinGuy

Thanks for your answer, it helped me find a simple solution:

My first rule entry is a formula: NOT(ISNEW()), and the "Do Not Reassign Owner" checkbox is checked. Now, whenever a lead is edited, none of the other entries is checked. But when a lead is created this first entry evaluates to false and then the other entries are chekced.

This was selected as the best answer
Parag Sevra 10Parag Sevra 10
Hi,

Resolution:
This is working as designed. You should remove the actual user's name or queue before selecting  'Do Not Reassign Owner'. After removing the name then check on 'Do Not Reassign Owner'. It will appear as grayed out on user or queue and click on save. The assignment rule will show Assign to as Same User.

For more information: 

Unable to keep the 'Do Not Reassign Owner' checkbox to TRUE in Lead Assignment Rule: https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewSolution?id=000232714&language=en_US

Set Up Assignment Rules: https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=creating_assignment_rules.htm&language=en_US

Regards,
Parag Sevra