function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
LTELTE 

Profiles are packaged but not installed

Hello,

I created a package which contained 3 custom profiles and uploaded it to the Appexchange.  I then accessed the package and added it to my Developer acct, but the 3 custom profiles did not load.

The package shows it has 94 items, but only 91 were installed.  I haven't seen any other posts with this problem, so maybe there is a step that I am missing?

Thanks for the help,

LTE
GregCGregC
Profiles are packaged but are only used for mapping, they are not installed.
wesnoltewesnolte

Hi Greg

How exactly are they used for mapping? I've been looking around but can't find any info.

Wes

A_SmithA_Smith

Basically, on install the subscriber has the option to map them to the profiles in their organization.  Keep in mind only the CRUD and FLS  permissions, page layout assignments, and record type assignments are all that are passed over for objects in the package.  None of the general permissions or standard object permissions are updated in the process.  

Thanks,

Andrew 

wesnoltewesnolte

Thanks for the quick response Andrew. I did find the mapping (step 2 of the install package wizard I think) but it didn't seem to work. Let me outline what I'm trying to do here.

I have a custom home page layout that is used my a specific user profile. When I package my application I package the layout and the profile settings. When I install it I map the standard user in the new application space to the specific user profile. I then create a user that belongs to the standard user profile but his home page is the default one instead of the one that should have been assigned by the profile settings. 

Should I be able to achieve my goal, or is there a system restriction that would prevent this?

A_SmithA_Smith

The home page layout is not mapped.  If you had multiple applications installed, then basically each would be competing for the home page layout if we mapped those during install.  

Thanks,

Andrew 

wesnoltewesnolte
Thanks for that Andrew. At least now I know my limitations :)
VarunCVarunC

Same exact issue here with me too. I've got 3 custom profiles included in the package. I've also got 2 "Apps" and each app is configured as standalone accessible from 2 of the profiles, such that only Profile A user can have access to the App A, and profile B has access to App B ... 

Now, I've released  it as managed release package, and I'm seeing that all components are uploaded and installed in target org, but NOT the profiles, profiles are still seen in my Dev org as Not Uploaded/Released, and I'm not seeing them inTarget org where I installed the package into.

I'm not really been able to understand anything from above discussion, can anyone help me make an understanding of what is happening here with my package ?

wesnoltewesnolte

Hey

You can't package profiles. I think at the second step of package installation, when you choose the security settings you can 'map' your packaged profiles onto profiles in the Org you are installing too.

As a pre-packing step I tend to clone standard profiles in the Org I'm installing to with names that are the same as those in the package, and just map the packaged profiles onto those.

Not all profile settings are mapped onto the new profiles though.

Cheers,

Wes

cptcpt

Hi wesnolte

We are also facing samiliar issue. from this thread we understand that we cannot change the standard profiles in customer/production org provided by Salesforce. If we want to provide complete access of a custom app then we need to create a custom profile in custom orgs by cloning the respective standard profiles that exists in the org and then need to provide respective permission required for the app.
Please let me know whether my understanding is right?

Thanks.