function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SteveBowerSteveBower 

Question: about packaging up an IP range into a managed package.

Given the new security features, I might want users who install my managed package to automatically be set up to trust an IP range I define in the package.

This way as soon as you install the package, my servers can log into your account using only a username/password.

Can that be done with the new security features?   Or is that considered data instead of schema?

Thanks, Steve.

GregCGregC
SteveBowerSteveBower

Hi Greg, ok, so I think we all get how the security system will work.

However my issue stands.

If a new customer downloads an AppExchange application which relies on a remote service to log in, *someone* has to do an identity confirmation of the IP range since the service making the API calls isn't registered.

So, in general, I don't want the users or admin to have to Identity-confirm using tokens or manually insert the IP range just to use a service they've already decided that they want because they installed it.

So, the question is:  Can an IP range be installed as part of a managed app?  That way the user is delegating to me, the Managed App administrator, the right to install and maintain some entries in their IP "whitelist".

If not (as I presume is the case), does this seem like a good idea to anybody, or is there a better way around it that I'm not seeing.

Thanks, Steve.

colingcoling
Why use the packaging mechanism to address this issue? It just interferes with the upgrade/versioning process (and associated marketing, etc.) for an app.

I think a better idea would be for Salesforce.com to set up a central registry of 'trusted' partner IP addresses. In my opinion this is a much more flexible approach. And its independence from app versions etc. would make it easier to manage by Salesforce.com.

(The above was just posted on the Idea Exchange http://ideas.salesforce.com/popular/appexchange)

Colin Goldberg