function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SamuliSamuli 

Date of Event to Formula field

I would need to have a formula field called "Demo" where I would need to get a date from an Event that is of type "Demo". The idea is to get a report of Opportunities with agreed Demo meetings. Sales people would just need to log an Event with a type Demo and it would show in the report.

I'm taking my first steps with Salesforce custom formulas. Please let me know if there's a better way to achieve this.
SamuliSamuli
What I mean is that I would want to browse through all open activities and check if their Type (could use Subject as well) is "Demo". How do I browse through all activities?

Message Edited by Samuli on 05-27-2008 10:22 PM
jpizzalajpizzala
You won't be able to browse through all Activities with a formula field.

I would suggest using an Apex trigger for this (you will need Enterprise or Unlimited Edition).
SamuliSamuli
Thanks for the reply.

I have created a Workflow rule to act when an Event is updated, and I wanted to update a custom Opportunity field based on the Event Type, but I can't seem to update any other than an Event object field.

You probably meant something else when you mentioned an Apex trigger. We have an Enterprise license, so how should I proceed?

Edit:
I understood that I should go to
Customize\ <object> \ Triggers,
but there is no "New" button to define new Apex Triggers. I'll try to find a solution to this.

Edit:
So that feature is available in Enterprise edition only for an additional cost.

Any idea on how to see from the Opportunity report if there is an Event of type "Demo"? I would like to avoid creating another custom Opportunity field for the Demo dates.

Message Edited by Samuli on 05-30-2008 02:01 AM

Message Edited by Samuli on 05-30-2008 02:16 AM
TCAdminTCAdmin
Hello Samuli,

The Apex is custom coding which utilizes triggers and classes. If you do not have any experience with programming you will have a difficult time building these. If you have experience you would need to sign up for a developer edition since you can't develop Apex in a production org. You can read more about Apex by going to the developer site and clicking on the Apex and Visualforce under Wiki on the left of the page.
CRMsimpleCRMsimple
Why wouldn't you just use the Activities with Opportunities report and summary the report by subject or type etc?
Zik22Zik22
Did you ever figure this out?

I have the same exact issue.
SamuliSamuli
Thanks all. I've had quite a little time lately to check these things. Seems like I can after all achieve what I wanted with a better report, like CRMsimple suggested. I had tried before, but could not do it right. Thanks a lot.