function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BobBob 

Field Update From Account to Customer Object

1. I want to know if this is possible.
I have an account that is a service provider for my company.
on the account page i have a field with a travel rate that the service recieves for his/her travel time.
how do i update the field on the customer object to reflect this travel rate?

2. Does anyone know a formula that will calculate the travel rate based on the service providers account number?
TCAdminTCAdmin
Hello wyldman,

If the custom has the relationship as a contact does then you would need to use a cross-object formula. You would create a field on the customer to hold the value from the Account. Choose a formula field and then click on the Advanced Formula tab. You can then find the field on the Account to display. The formula would look something like the one below.
Code:
If this is a standard relationship to the Account it will be: Account.Rate__c
If it is a custom relationship it will be: Account__c.Rate__c

BobBob
Okay I have a customer text field on the account page named Travel_Rate__c. I have a value of 50.00 in this field. I want to sent this value to a custom object called Billing Information. The field on that page is called Travel_Rate__c also. How do i get that specific from the account page to the Billing Page. Is there a formula that could lookup an account number or name to pick the 50.00 value?
I have about 20 service providers who have special rates that i need to get this function working when creating a new  or updating an existing billing information page.
TCAdminTCAdmin
wyldman,

On the Billing Information object, is there a lookup field to the Account that contains the Travel_Rate__c value you need? If so then you can either change the Billing_Information__c.Travel_Rate__c field to a formula field or utilize a workflow field update to populate it with the value from the Account.

If there is not a lookup relationship on the Billing Information object to the Account then this method would not work. It depends on how a relationship is calculated before we could give options that do what you are looking for.
BobBob

I was thinking of a formulas similar to this one below.

IF(Travel_Rate__c = "Club Care", 50.00,

IF(Travel_Rate__c = "Trangle Service", 45.00,

IF($Travel_Rate__c= "Smart Inc", 43.00,

null

)

)

)

I also need the field to have the capabilities of being editable if possible.
TCAdminTCAdmin
wyldman,

If you use a formula field it cannot be modified by the user in any way. The value it generates will be the only value you can have. Your other option would be to update the field using a workflow rule and field update. You can then use this to update a text field based on the value of the travel rate field. As long as you control when the the workflow triggers it would allow your users to override the value. It would need to have criteria to trigger on creation or if it had not match the criteria before. The criteria would then be Travel_Rate__c not equal to <blank>
BobBob
What field would go into the field update formula field. I put the travel_rate_c field from the account page and nothing happens.
TCAdminTCAdmin
wyldman,

It depends on what your actual setup is so it is difficult trying to give you exact information on this. If you have your Billing Information associated with an Account and that Account field has a value it should work. You need to make sure you choose the Account > field to expand the Account fields. You can then choose the field of choice and it should update with that value. You need to have a workflow rule that triggers and associate that field update with it as well.
BobBob

It helps if I have the workflow rule activated. duh!

That did work, but i need to figure out how to have an override on the field so the user can manual put a value into the rate field. maybe i can add a price override check box that opens a text field.

Thanks for your help.

rpr2rpr2
I recently had a formula field that worked 98% of the time, but needed to be able to be overwritten in 2% of the cases.  You can't "open up" a field if it is a formula field, so I handled it by having a second field where the exceptions could be handled.  Then, I wrote the formula for my formula field so that if something was in the "override" field, it used that value.  If the "override" field was empty, then a formula was used to calculate the value that was used.