function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ne-rm-teamne-rm-team 

Can(t) delete original object using a DML operation on trigger after update?!?!?!

Hi,

According to Apex-Guide: Can delete original object using a DML operation on trigger after update; According to Test-Method: DML statment cannot operate on trigger.new or trigger.old

that was my previous message subject  but it seems a bit to long ;)

So, why the apex-guide assert that you can delete the original object, when on the other hand I get an error in the test-log.

trigger RunMyJob on myJob__c (after update)

{

myJob__c mjn = new myJob__c();

insert mjn;

SOmyCreateBacklogs.createBack(trigger.new[0]);

myJob__c old = trigger.new[0];

delete old;

}

Does anyone knows what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks and best regards

Sascha

Message Edited by ne-rm-team on 12-05-2008 04:47 AM
HarmpieHarmpie

I am not sure what you´re trying to do here, since the trigger.old will be gone from the database anyway after an update, no use to delete it? Also I suggest placing any logic in a trigger in a loop, instead of assuming 1 record with trigger.old/new[0].

Message Edited by Harmpie on 12-06-2008 06:57 AM
ne-rm-teamne-rm-team

I didn't knew that I'm deleting the trigger.old. I thought I delete a variable named "old" wich contains the trigger.new[0] value. :smileywink:

1. When  I was posting my problem I tried to stay focused on the essentials.

2. The Problem ist, that I want to delete the original object, wich fires the trigger but I can't. The language reference says I can, but the debug log is throwing an error out (you can see it in the subject).

3. I don't need a loop for picking up more than one record since I am totaly shure that there is always only one record, wich could fire the trigger.

I just whant to know if I did something wrong or if the apex reference contains a wrong statement.

Best regards

Sascha

Message Edited by ne-rm-team on 12-08-2008 12:47 AM