function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Herb TarlekHerb Tarlek 

Setting default value for "Country"

I just started using Salesforce Professional this week and am still customizing it to serve my purposes. Is it possible to set a default value for the "Country" field? I plan to input a lot of leads and am tired of typing "USA" for nearly every one.

I set up defaults for other fields, but some, like the "Country" field, don't seem to have a default option. Also, is there a way to remove or rename fields that are "fixed", like the Annual Revenue field? I fished around a little, but don't see how you can modify those.

I am the administrator and sole user of the product for our firm.

Thanks!
CRMGeneralistCRMGeneralist

You can change the names of the labels under Set-Up - Tab Names and Labels - Rename Labels

You can also set the default for country I believe by downloading an App Exchange otherwise I don't think you can understand standard Salesforce.com

ScrapsScraps
Use a Workflow Rule and a Field Update. If Country = Blank, "USA"
CRMGeneralistCRMGeneralist
Hi All,

Scraps I originally was going to post your suggestion, however is it a best practice to just populate USA everytime that field is blank if you get leads globally or assign leads? I find most folks do not fill in country so then a great deal of leads maybe mis-labeled with USA. Whereas if you download the App Exhchange with the Country picklists it forces you to choose a field and you can default to USA and it helps with data integrity because if forces that Country to be entered the same way globally meaning United Kingdom would always be United Kingdom instead of UK, etc.

I am not sure how large your database is but I just went through a clean up process because we did not have standard picklist for Country/State and it was an absolute nightmare. This also impacts any lead assignment and territory assignments so you may want to think of that as well. :smileywink:

From a data integrity purpose I would be cautious doing a workflow rule unless all your leads are USA.
ScrapsScraps

That's a really good point. My company only works with Australian contacts so that's not an issue for me.

Thanks for the idea.

JakesterJakester
We use PostCode Anywhere for address validation and are extremely pleased with them. They allow you to specify a default country, but that's really just the tip of the iceberg. Check 'em out!