function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
abatesabates 

Creating a required "Other - specify" rule

I'm trying to create a formula/rule that forces a user to enter text if "Other" is chosen in a related picklist.

Help please.
BHarmsBHarms
Hopefully the example below will help you get what you are looking for.

AND (
 ISPICKVAL( fieldname__c, "Other"),
Len(fieldname1__C) = 0
)

Replace fieldname__c with the field that has Other as your pick list value and fieldname1__c with the field where you want the required text. 

Bill
abatesabates
for some reason that didn't work. it gave me a warning saying the field doesn't exist; i checked and double checked the spelling of the field. any other suggestions?
BHarmsBHarms
Are the fields custom fields or are they standard salesforce fields? As that will make a difference in how the field names need to appear in the validation rule. The way I wrote the example is using custom field names as they all end with __c.
abatesabates
they are custom fields and I did make sure to end it with __c. any other thoughts?
BHarmsBHarms
About the only other thing I can suggest is to use the Insert Field button to insert your fields to ensure that the field names are correct as it pulls directly from the db.  I just tried another example in my org where I mistyped the field name and I received the same error you received.  
KaydanceKaydance
I am trying to accomplish something similar. Where are you putting this code? In the formula section in creating the new Other Textbox field?