function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CaffeineCaffeine 

Strange SOQL Realities

SOQL that compares against the value null gives indeterminate results.

Example:

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = 'a0OR00000002v1x' and PublicGroupId__c != null    

Result=> returns no records (The PublicGroupId__c field does has a value)

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = 'a0OR00000002v1x' and PublicGroupId__c = null      

Result=> returns no records!

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = 'a0OR00000002v1x' and PublicGroupId__c != ' '

Result=> returns 1 record!

But if we query for another nearly identical object like this:

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = ' a0OR00000002xqp ' and PublicGroupId__c != null

Result=> returns 1  record!!!   (The PublicGroupId__c field does have a value)

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = ' a0OR00000002xqp ' and PublicGroupId__c  = null

Result => returns no  records

Does anyone know something about this SOQL ‘feature’?
werewolfwerewolf

Contradictions do not exist. Whenever you think you are facing a contradiction, check your premises. You will find that one of them is wrong.  - Ayn Rand

What is the type of the field PublicGroupId__c?  Is it a string?  Null generally does not apply to String-typed fields, but the empty string does, so if you're comparing a string to null you might get something you don't expect.

CaffeineCaffeine

Werewolf,

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think there are contradictions.  I think there's an out and out bug.  PublicGroupId__c is a String, but the problem is that the return in non-deterministic.  Programmers are generally against that sort of thing.

To expand, here are queries that do not return anything:

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = 'a0OR00000002v1x' and PublicGroupId__c != null 

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = 'a0OR00000002v1x' and PublicGroupId__c != ''

But this one returns the record:

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = 'a0OR00000002v1x' and PublicGroupId__c != ' '

Now I have an identical record, except with a different PublicGroupId__c:

And this query returns the record:

select Id, PublicGroupId__c from WorkGroup__c where Id = 'a0OR00000002xqp' and PublicGroupId__c != null 

Now if both queries comparing to null either returned something or didn't return something, I'd be cool with it.  But because you don't know whether it return a record or not, it seems like something needs a little fixing somewhere.