function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JeffroJeffro 

Passing values in custom controller from one method to another

I am somewhat of a newbie to Apex and VF, so I will explain my issue in pseudo code.

I have three custom objects (Applications, Enrollments, Tests) that are children of the Contact object. I would like to create a Visual Force page that displays information for all Applications that have a Status of 'Incomplete'. All custom objects have a Contact__c field associated to them so I can reference the Contact object from any of them.

Here is the issue: Not all Enrollments and Tests are associated with the Application object, but all are associated with the Contact object. So I need to query for all 'Incomplete' Applications in my custom controller and use the Contact__c reference to query Enrollments and Tests. Then display the information in a table on the VF page.

So I have two trains of thought:

This does not work... 

1.  Select FirstName, LastName,(Select <application_fields> from Application),(Select <enrollment_fields> from Enrollments),(Select <test_fields> from Tests) From Contact Where Application__r.Status = 'Incomplete';    OR
  2. Select Contact__c from Application Where Application.Status = 'Incomplete';

for (incomplete_apps)

{

contact_id = incomplete_apps.Contact__c;

Select Name from Enrollments where Contact__c = :contact_id;

Select Name from Tests where Contact__c = :contact_id;

}

If I do #2, how do I reference the Enrollments and Tests on the VF page since the page is calling the getMethod for the Application?

Hope this makes sense????

Thanks,

Jeff