function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jaganjagan 

Callout from triggers are currently not supported.

Hi All,

We are currently facing an issue regarding SMS integration. 

We need to send the SMS automatically when a case is saved/edited. For this we have an apex class which consists  of  HTTPS callouts to access the SMS gateway of Value first 
and a trigger which invokes this apex class when ever a case is saved/edited.

Now, when ever the trigger is fired i'm getting this exception     "System.CalloutException: Callout from triggers are currently not supported"

I think it can be possible by S-Control  but the process should automatic.  

And this is very urgent for our project 

Pls suggest any solution /workaround  for the same.

Any help is appreciable.

Thanks  
Jagan.
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
aalbertaalbert

You do need to use the @future annotation in an apex method that is stored in a separate class. Then call that class and method from within your trigger.

For example:

trigger justAnExample on Account (after update){ testCls.myMethod(); //call the static method, with the @future annotation }  

global testCls { @future Public static void myMethod(callout=true){ System.debug('inside myMethod...'); //do your callout logic here... System.debug('exiting myMethod...'); } }

Documentation on @future here

All Answers

BrianWKBrianWK

Jagan, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe any call outs in triggers must be done asynchronously.

I have a call out - but it's being done in an Apex class which is called by my asynchronous trigger- with no issues. I believe to make it asynchronous you need to add "@future" to your trigger.

aalbertaalbert

You do need to use the @future annotation in an apex method that is stored in a separate class. Then call that class and method from within your trigger.

For example:

trigger justAnExample on Account (after update){ testCls.myMethod(); //call the static method, with the @future annotation }  

global testCls { @future Public static void myMethod(callout=true){ System.debug('inside myMethod...'); //do your callout logic here... System.debug('exiting myMethod...'); } }

Documentation on @future here

This was selected as the best answer
cheenathcheenath

Here is a detailed example:

http://cheenath.com/?tutorial/sfdc/sample1/index.html

jaganjagan

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response..

This is really helpful to me and my problem is solved.

Now i'm able to achieve the call out from trigger.

As @Future is only for static void methods, we are not able to return a value like

whether the message is sent successfully or any exception raised.

Is there is any other way to achieve this?

Thanks & Regards,

Jagan

jack_lincon_zhujack_lincon_zhu
Congratulations! Now I face the same issue,could you tell me how to solve this problem? Thans in advance!!!
DianeMDianeM

Cheenath, 

Thank you for posting your example of using a future callout from a trigger.  Your example is almost identical to some code I have written - mine fails continually telling me I have outstanding changes and I need to commit or do a rollback.  Have you tried this code in Summer '09?

Thanks,

Diane

dydy

Cheenath,

thank you for your example using @Future... my callout now works fine (having removed the redirect I was doing on the Grails side).  Greatly appreciated.

David 

EBayEBay

Hi Jagan,

I am doing the integration with Value First. I would really appreciate if you please help me with the direction or sample code.

Thanks,

Sandeep

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Since callouts happen asynchronously, you can not return a value to the user advising them of a failure to send as a normal error message. You'll need to find an asynchronous way of notifying the user that a SMS failed to send.

Here are some suggestions:

A custom object that tracks SMS messages sent out could be updated with status changes. A custom field could identify the status of those messages that they could retrieve at any time, maybe through a report or directly looking at a contact.

The user could be notified via a sidebar component that queries the database periodically for messages sent (maybe stored as a task or custom object). This could be in Visualforce, and displayed on all pages using the User Interface option to show custom sidebar components on all pages.

The user could be notified through a workflow rule to assign them a task or send them an email in the event of a failure. Depending on how this is set up, they would be notified the moment an SMS fails to send.

Create a special Visualforce page for sending SMS messages. Since this is not a trigger, you can perform the callout while the user waits and provide immediate feedback.

AkiTAkiT

Cheenath's trigger callout tutorial http://cheenath.com/?tutorial/sfdc/sample1/index.html will fail in bulk triggers as only 10 future calls allowed in trigger context, so be careful.

bryan.gilbertbryan.gilbert

I was also thinking about the limits on @future and bulk updates.  But the limits have changed in the summer 11 release.

https://login.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/salesforce_app_limits_cheatsheet.pdf

Still there are limits and this could be a problem for the proposed solution.

One way to improve the sample is to collect all the Account ids, in a list, in the trigger. Pass the list to the @Future method that updates Accounts.  This way a batch of updates will result in one call to a future method.

Also, in that update method you'd need to update a list of Accounts rather than do them one at a time.  This is normal.

Eduardo ChiocconiEduardo Chiocconi

Amazing, simple and to the point set of instructions. You saved my day !

Marc C.Marc C.

Your syntax seems incorrect. It should be:
@future (callout=true)
public static void myMethod() {
    //...
}

brunol11brunol11
It´s quite a simple code, but I could not run a single SMS. Are thes tips still working for you?