function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
niksssniksss 

Custom Lead Conversion

Has anyone has any experience with customizing the lead conversion process? If yes please share. I am trying to achieve this.

But the fields for ConvertedAccountId, ConvertedOpportunityId, ConvertedContactId are not updatable on the Lead record. I was hoping that I could update this with the corresponding converted record ids, so that if the Lead is clicked on post conversion, we would get the usual page saying this lead was converted into xyz Acct, Contact & Oppty. I can create lookup fields to these 3 obj on the Lead, populate them and change the rec type and the page layout using a Workflow rule. But the problem would still exist if someone reports on converted leads using the standard 'Converted' reporting field.

If anyone has had experiences with custom lead conversion, please share. 

Message Edited by niksss on 11-04-2009 07:45 PM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

You could create a custom LeadConvert Visualforce page if you'd like to make the user go through the process of finding the record, then have that page create the appropriate account/contact, and then use leadConvert(), passing the ID values of the newly created records.

Alternatively, you can use a before update trigger, check for leads which are about to be converted, perform your callouts at that time, and then update the lead's values, etc.

Or, thirdly, you might perform an after update trigger, and update the automatically generated account with the external information.

All Answers

jeffdonthemic2jeffdonthemic2

You can check out my blog post with some sample code:

Enhancing The Lead Conversion Process In Salesforce.com

Jeff Douglas
Appirio, Inc.
http://blog.jeffdouglas.com

niksssniksss
Thanks. But this is not what I am looking for. I am looking to build a custom logic for the entire lead conversion and override the OOB process. Reason being; the search for an Account has to be made against an external database as opposed to the Account table in SFDC.
jeffdonthemic2jeffdonthemic2

Sorry, I misunderstood. We did this about 3 or 4 years ago using JavaScript but it wasn't quick nor easy. I don't see why you couldn't do it in Visualforce but, unfortunately, I don't have any code.

Jeff Douglas
Appirio, Inc.
http://blog.jeffdouglas.com

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

You could create a custom LeadConvert Visualforce page if you'd like to make the user go through the process of finding the record, then have that page create the appropriate account/contact, and then use leadConvert(), passing the ID values of the newly created records.

Alternatively, you can use a before update trigger, check for leads which are about to be converted, perform your callouts at that time, and then update the lead's values, etc.

Or, thirdly, you might perform an after update trigger, and update the automatically generated account with the external information.

This was selected as the best answer
krishna3krishna3

Hi,

i am new to salesforce developement, this is my first project 

we are implementing the same kind of scenario,,,if you implemented this one can please provide me the code... so i can look into it

thank you,