function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
tmbarrytmbarry 

Rollup summary fields and Parent Objects

I have create a custom object called Pricing.  This object is a child object with the Parent being the Opportunity Object.  On my Opportunity object I have two fields the Contract Start Date & the Contract End Date.

On my pricing object I want to calculate an item's amount using the following formula: ((Contract End Date - Contract Start Date)/12) * rate = Amount

So for everything works.

The problem is, on the Opportunity object, I want to do a roll up summary field to total all the Pricing objects "Amounts", but the system will not let me.  I assume that is because my formula references fields on the Opportunity object and thus will not allow the roll up summary.  My question is, is there a way around this?

Thanks

Todd B.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JakesterJakester
If you can choose other fields on your Pricing object, then it must be because it's a formula. One workaround for this would be make the Amount field a standard currency field (not a formula) and then to have a workflow rule that would update the Amount field whenever any of the other relevant fields changed.

All Answers

JakesterJakester
If you can choose other fields on your Pricing object, then it must be because it's a formula. One workaround for this would be make the Amount field a standard currency field (not a formula) and then to have a workflow rule that would update the Amount field whenever any of the other relevant fields changed.
This was selected as the best answer
tmbarrytmbarry

Thanks Jakester, I never thought of that.

Worked like a charm!

Todd B.