function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
brhuntbrhunt 

New Contact View using Account.Type as a Filter By field

Hello,

I hope that this is the correct discussion area for this question.

I would like to be able to group contacts in a view based on the Account Type of the contact's account record.  Unfortunately, Account Type is not one of the available fields in the Filter By Additional Fields drop down box (although several Account fields are there). 

Is it possible to add Account Type to that list of drop down fields?

Thanks for any and all help.

Bryan Hunt

Steve :-/Steve :-/

You can create a custom formula field (text)

Contact>Account>Type(Account.Type)

Then you'll have a handle to your Account select from the Contacts list view

brhuntbrhunt

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. 

I had thought of adding the field to the contact, but got stuck when trying to add the field in the customize/contact/fields area.  If I use Formula for the custum field type, my only options for Account.Type are Case and ISPickVal.  I couldn't figure out how to use them to simply return the value that is in the field.

Do you have a better method for populating the field?

Thanks.

Bryan Hunt

Steve :-/Steve :-/
My bad, here you go...

CASE(Account.Type, "Pickval 1","Pickval 1", "Pickval 2","Pickval 2", "Pickval 3","Pickval 3", "")

brhuntbrhunt

Steve,

Thanks again for the reply.  I thought of that option too, but was hoping to have the actual value of the Account.Type brought back, rather than picklist options.  That way if I add additional value options to the Account.Type field, I don't have to go back and modify the formula.

It may not be possible...

Thanks.

Bryan Hunt

CRMGeneralistCRMGeneralist

I do not believe it is possible what I think needs to happen is this idea needs to pass and you should be good to go. So you should vote this one up. 

http://ideas.salesforce.com/article/show/43022/The_ability_to_use_a_picklist_value_in_a_formula_field_without_ISPICKVAL

brhuntbrhunt

Well, as far as forwarding an idea to the SFDC developers, I would like to get back to the basic need, which is to have the Account.Type field available as a Contact-View-Filter-By option.

How do I "vote" this request up to them?

Thanks.

Bryan Hunt

CRMGeneralistCRMGeneralist

Bryan, I do not think that is out there yet, so you would go to the Idea Exchange Tab on this site and Submit and Idea, I would search first but I could not find one.