function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
WorkingOnItWorkingOnIt 

Is it possible to copy an Opportunity field value to a Task stored under an Opportunity?

I can use field updates via lookups for a variety of related or custom objects and copy field data from one object to another.

It looks like under the Task/Activities custom field choices etc. I have less options to work with.

Is there a way to copy an Opportunity field value like Opportunity Type to a Task record that has been assigned the Opportunity as its related object?

Thanks for any help!

Dening80Dening80

To copy the value -- not without an Apex trigger, and I am not sure about that. However if you just want to show Opportunity Type on Tasks related to that Opportunity:

1. Create an HTML s-control named Opportunity Type,which contains only the merge field for Opportunity Type

2. Put the s-control on your Task page layout. Edit the element properties on the layout and change the height to 18 or 20 and choose to show labels.

When a Task is related to an Opportunity you will see the Opportunity Type shown on the Task detail page (it will not appear on the Task edit page).

Hope this helps :-D

~Chris Dening