function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
InnovationInnovation 

Unable to access custom report list using servlet.ReportList in dev org

We are attempting to access servlet.ReportList programmatically in order to parse the XML output and dynamically construct URL's based on report ID's matching folder / name queries.  What I'm finding is that even though I can see the folder and reports that we will be looking for while browsing in the UI, when I access servlet.ReportList, only the standard reports and folders are available to me.

I have checked permissions and everything is set to public read/write temporarily until development is complete. My profile has the required access to the object and fields, and I can run the reports without issue. The interesting thing is that the dev org that I am working in has recently been migrated from another dev org using Eclipse (IDE v16.x), and when I run the servlet.ReportList in the old org I see all of the custom reports in the XML output.  I'm trying to isolate the delta between the reports / folders, but the thing that perplexes me is that I have no issue with visibility through the UI...only through servlet.ReportList.  Both orgs are Spring '10.

Any ideas? 

Ron HessRon Hess
Access to servlet.reportlist is not a supported api, your design should not assume that this will work.
InnovationInnovation
Understood.  What's the supported method for accessing lists of reports, then?
InnovationInnovation
And to clarify, not just a list of reports, but a list of reports where I can use a field from the returned data set to subsequently retrieve the ID of a specific report.  If we access reports declaratively, the ID field is not exposed, only the name.
NBlasgenNBlasgen

Might as well give the fix for this since I had the issue and still had questions about why this is so.  Wonder if someone can tell us why servlet.ReportList even exists...

Anyways, the fix for your issue is that the folder must be "visible to all users, including portal users."  If there is any access restriction then it doesn't show up in that list.  Which is a little odd since the "My" folders show up but not the ones accessible to all users, except portal users.  Seems a bit backwards.

If someone can tell me a legetimate use of servlet.ReportList that seems broken by the lacking reports, then I can file it as a bug and get it fixed.  But for me, I have no idea why this XML page would exist except for attempts to use it for a hacked API purpose.