function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
omarkassimomarkassim 

Product to Opportunity Product Custom Field - Please Help!

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to do the following, your help would be much appreciated:

• I have a custom field in Product called Origin
  • I have created another custom field in Opportunity Product called Origin
  • When a Product is selected on an Opportunity, I would like to fill the second Origin field with the value of the Origin field from Product.

I have seen a possible solution using Workflows, however I do not feel this will be workable for the future. I would prefer to use a formula field, unless someone else has a better solution!

In a nutshell I want the various custom fields that I have created under Product to be available under Opportunity Product as well.

Anyone's swift help would be much appreciated! 

hhuiehhuie

I believe you can make Origin a formula field and enter in this:

PricebookEntry.Product2.Origin__c

Your basically referencing the Product that is located in the Pricebook

omarkassimomarkassim

Thanks for your response. The field Origin is a picklist (a list of countries), the origin corresponds to the chosen product.

I am unable to figure out what type of formula I need to put in place to choose the value in the Origin picklist when a given product is chosen.

Any ideas? 

hhuiehhuie

To display a picklist from a product to an Opportunity you would need to use a Case function unless you know someone that can create a trigger for you.

Case( PricebookEntry.Product2.Origin__c, "USA", "USA","Europe","Europe","Other" )

Think this should work.  Sometime in the future hopefully Salesforce would fix this issue and allow us to do:

Text( PricebookEntry.Product2.Origin__c )

Message Edited by hhuie on 04-23-2009 06:39 AM
rockchick322004rockchick322004
Text( picklist ) in formula fields is coming in Summer '09.  I know, I can't wait either!  ;-)
hhuiehhuie

Thanks for the confirmation mscotton.  Do you know if they have list of features being released for the Summer '09?  I'm only able to find info on features that are being implemented from the IdeaExchange.

Thanks

Kevin042Kevin042

The list of new functionality should be coming out shortly as the sandbox conversions are happening mid may.

Keep your eyes open for the pre-release test orgs that you can sign up for on the develper site.

Kevin Edelmann