function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
JillWJillW 

Help with Auto Filling the Opportunity Territory

I want the Opportunity Territory to be automatically filled in with the territory from the Account. Can anybody tell me the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
JillWJillW

Hi again.

I've figured out how to do this. The opportunities can only be automatically assigned a territory if there is only one territory associated with an account. This means that if there is a territory hierarchy, the opportunity can't decide between the account's territory and the parent territory.

I had to reconfigure my territories so there were no parent territories.

All Answers

Steve :-/Steve :-/
How are you storing the Account Territory?  Is it a text or picklist field? or is it calculated by a Formula or Field Update?
JillWJillW
I'm using SalesForce's Territories. They're determined by the rules in the Territory hierarchy.
Steve :-/Steve :-/

Hmmmm...  I was afraid of that  

I have almost less than zero experience using SFDC Territory Mgmt, other than kicking the tires on it years ago when it was first rolled out.  

Have you tried to get a handle to it by creating a custom (text) Formula Field on the Opportunity.

Custom Field:

DataType: Formula(text)

[Advanced Formula]

[Insert Field] 

Opportunity>Account>"Name of Territory Field*" 

* provided that you can get a handle to it 

Message Edited by Stevemo on 05-28-2009 05:37 PM
JillWJillW

Hi again.

I've figured out how to do this. The opportunities can only be automatically assigned a territory if there is only one territory associated with an account. This means that if there is a territory hierarchy, the opportunity can't decide between the account's territory and the parent territory.

I had to reconfigure my territories so there were no parent territories.

This was selected as the best answer