function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
crop1645crop1645 

Winter 10 - Apex - Eclipse IDE - Access to CRM Content objects (Contentversion, ...)

I finally got around to starting development in Sandbox of using APEX + Controllers + VF to manipulate CRM Content objects but I immediately ran into a roadblock where perhaps you can help:

1. Force.com IDE is at V16.0 because SFDC chose not to release a version 17 IDE; we apparently have to wait until Spring 10 (Version 18).    
  2. Because of this, the Schema that shows in Eclipse IDE is only V16.0 objects and thus excludes the CRM Content objects.
  3. Therefore, I can’t develop any code to use the CRM Content objects because the Schema isn’t aware of them.
  4. I tried changing the package.xml to <version> tag from <version>16.0</version>
    to <vesion>17.0</version> but this made no difference.
  5. Is there some other trick I am missing here?  Or must I wait until Spring 10?  (using the WSAPI is not an answer here)

Thanks

Eric

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
crop1645-1crop1645-1
Jon actually provided the correct solution for editing/testing APEX on V17 objects using the V16 IDE in this post. I tried it and it worked fine.
Message Edited by crop1645-1 on 12-08-2009 09:41 AM

All Answers

JonPJonP

You can write your code in the web editors for Apex and Visualforce, rather than the IDE.  And for migration you can use the Migration Tool for Ant, or Change Sets (aka Cloud Deploy) if you're working in a Sandbox.

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

Doug ACFDoug ACF

Jon -

I don't understand the strategy of not having a new IDE release for every API version.  The vast majority of development and migration is being done with the IDE, not the web editors and Ant.  It seems odd that for a customer to take advantage of new platform/application functionality, they would need to change their development toolset.  Can you give us some additional background on this decision?

JonPJonP

The feedback we received from customers over the past year or so was that writing apps was fast and easy but deploying them could be much easier--especially since you can write apps without downloading any tools, but for deployment you had to set up Eclipse or Ant.  Because the barriers to entry for development on the Force.com platform are far lower than most languages or platforms, there exists a sizeable contingent of people writing Force.com apps who are unfamiliar with IDEs. 

So we decided the best way to address the needs of traditional developers asking for a better deployment experience as well as the broader community of people writing Force.com apps, was to build a web-based deployment tool that could be faster and provide better dependency identification (since it runs directly in our cloud).  Hence Cloud Deploy.

While we were reluctant to forego an IDE release for Winter '10, understanding how widely it's used, based on what we heard from customers and partners we felt the overall benefit of Cloud Deploy to the Force.com development experience was worth it. 

But going forward we will resume our normal IDE release schedule with Spring '10.

crop1645-1crop1645-1
Jon actually provided the correct solution for editing/testing APEX on V17 objects using the V16 IDE in this post. I tried it and it worked fine.
Message Edited by crop1645-1 on 12-08-2009 09:41 AM
This was selected as the best answer
DianeMDianeM

Jon,

I am having some difficulty with Custom Settings - the V16 Eclipse IDE does not seem to recognize the  privacy setting and always reverts to Protected and I really need Public.  So are you saying if I retrieve the Custom Settings with the ant tool I will be able to successfully deploy the Public settings.

Thanks,

Diane