function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
MATTYBMEMATTYBME 

Opp Line items to Asset Apex Trigger

I am modifying the Salesforce Labs Appexchange app Opportunity Products to Assets to include a new field. Here is my code:

trigger CreateAssetonClosedWon on Opportunity (after insert, after update) { for(Opportunity o: trigger.new){ if(o.isWon == true && o.HasOpportunityLineItem == true){ String opptyId = o.Id; OpportunityLineItem[] OLI = [Select UnitPrice, Quantity, PricebookEntry.Product2Id, PricebookEntry.Product2.Name, Description, Converted_to_Asset__c From OpportunityLineItem where OpportunityId = :opptyId and Converted_to_Asset__c = false]; Asset[] ast = new Asset[]{}; Asset a = new Asset(); for(OpportunityLineItem ol: OLI){ a = new Asset(); a.AccountId = o.AccountId; a.Product2Id = ol.PricebookEntry.Product2Id; a.Quantity = ol.Quantity; a.Price = ol.UnitPrice; a.PurchaseDate = o.CloseDate; a.Status = 'Purchased'; a.Description = ol.Description; a.Name = ol.PricebookEntry.Product2.Name; a.SerialNumber = o.Dongle_ID__c; a.Contact = o.Contact_Person__c; ast.add(a); ol.Converted_to_Asset__c = true; } update OLI; insert ast; } }}

I have added this line:

a.Contact = o.Contact_Person__c;

a.Contact is a standard field on the Asset object which is a lookup(Contact) and o.Contact_Person__c is a custom lookup related to contact.

Problem I am having on saving this with the new line of code is I receive this error message:

Error: Compile Error: Illegal assignment from Id to SOBJECT:Contact at line 21 column 13

Can someone guide me on what I need to do please? 

CaptainObviousCaptainObvious

Instead of

a.Contact = o.Contact_Person__c;

Use

a.Contact = o.Contact_Person__r;

By the way, if you copy your code from the trigger EDIT page (rather than the trigger view) it'll preserve the formatting when you paste in the code. This makes it easier to read :D

MATTYBMEMATTYBME

Ok I tried:

a.Contact = o.Contact_Person__r;

but the Contact lookup field (Standard Field) on the Asset (a.Contact) does not get populated with the Opportunities Contact Person even though that field has a value on the Opportunity.

MATTYBMEMATTYBME

I also entered this line of code:

a.Related_Opportunity__c = o.Name;

a.Related_Opportunity__c is a Custom lookup field on the Asset object to the Opportunity.

When I edit the Opportunity Stage to Closed/Won and try and save I get an error message that says:

Error: Invalid Data. 
Review all error messages below to correct your data.

Apex trigger CreateAssetonClosedWon caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: CreateAssetonClosedWon: execution of AfterUpdate caused by: System.StringException: Invalid id: Altered Images - GMC: Trigger.CreateAssetonClosedWon: line 21, column 13

Line 21, column 13 is this new line of code.

What am I doing wrong? 

CaptainObviousCaptainObvious

How about this...

a.ContactId = o.contact_person__c; a.Related_Opportunity__c = o.id;

MATTYBMEMATTYBME
Thanks for this. Still cannot get the Contact lookup on the Asset object to populate with the Opp Contact person but oh well what you have helped me on is a great help.