function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Gina199Gina199 

Capturing the Contact Name on a related list attached to a related list

I am hoping someone can help me with this situation - that it is even possible. 

On my contact page I have a custom object "Volunteer Profile".  On the Volunteer profile  I have a master look up field that captures the contact name from the contact object, I also have a custom object "Volunteer Hours" attached to the volunteer profile.  I have been unable to build a formula field that would capture the contact name using the master lookup field.  Is this not possible, if not is there another way to capture the contact name and populate it into the volunteer hours object?  (Other than using the look up where my users would have manually populate it)

Thanks  GIna

MarkSilberMarkSilber

Are you actually trying to capture the Contact associated to the Hours object or just display it? If you just want to display it, you can build a formula that can go back up the relationship chain to display the Contact name.

If you need to capture it since it's a lookup field, the easiest thing to do would be to build a custom button on the Volunteer Hours related list that passes Contact fields as parameters to the Volunteer Hours object from the Volunteer Profile or Contact screen. If that's what you're trying to do, I can provide a sample for you.