function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jennifer BJennifer B 

Case Stage Required if Date Delivered Exists

Hi everyone,

My users are used to adding a "Date Completed" to their cases, but they forget to actually close the case.  I could go about this in one of two ways:

OPTION 1: Create a validation rule whereby if the "Date Completed" exists, then the Case Stage must be set to Closed.

OPTION 2: If a Date Completed exists, the the Case Stage automatically moves to Closed.

Any suggestions?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
MarkSilberMarkSilber

You should be able to use:

NOT(ISNULL(ClosedDate))

My other statement had to do with building the validation rule. I think you already plan to use the Status field, so you're ok.

All Answers

MarkSilberMarkSilber

If you are collecting any other specific information at case closure, like a resolution or other values, I recommend using a validation rule.

When building your validation rule, you have to use the Status field to check if the case will be closed at save time - you can't use the Closed/IsClosed field (a boolean system field that is available in the validation rule formula builder) since it's not set to true until after you save the record.

Jennifer BJennifer B

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for your response, but I have to admit I'm not totally following. Here's a simpler question...

Is there a validation rule that allows me to check if a Date Exists on a record when the user saves it?  I know I can check if a Date ISNULL, but I haven't been able to figure out the opposite..

Thanks,

JB

MarkSilberMarkSilber

You should be able to use:

NOT(ISNULL(ClosedDate))

My other statement had to do with building the validation rule. I think you already plan to use the Status field, so you're ok.

This was selected as the best answer
Jennifer BJennifer B
That's it!  Thank you. :)
petec@i2isyspetec@i2isys

Mark,

I have a similar issue.  I want a validation rule that says if they try to close a case when a date field is not filled out, that it won't let them.  But no matter what I do, I can't get it to work right because the case isn't closed until after it's closed.

So I was trying to do this: AND( ISPICKVAL( Sub_Type__c , 'EHR Interface') , IsClosed  = True,  ISBLANK( EMR_EHR_Interface_Live_Date__c )  )

But the rule never fires because the case isn't closed until AFTER it's closed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete