function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
GPS FinanceGPS Finance 

Time Dependent Workflow Formula

I am trying to set up an email alert to be sent 30 days after the date in a date field. I set up a time dependent workflow rule, but it is sending the alert 30 days after the field is populated. I need it to be based on the actual date in the field. Customer service said I needed to set up a formula and I had to come here to get help with it. Can anyone help me with this? I have never used formulas in Salesforce before. Thanks for your help.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
phiberoptikphiberoptik
Sorry mate... I misguided you (my previous steps would have worked if you had the Time Trigger but not an action selected within the time trigger).

Click Remove on the workflow action within the time trigger, then create a new time trigger and add the email alert to it.

All Answers

phiberoptikphiberoptik

So you have a workflow rule with:

Evaluation Criteria: created, and any time it’s edited to subsequently meet criteria

Run Criteria: Date field not equal to _____

Then your workflow action is a time dependent email alert set to fire 30 days after Date field, or 30 days after trigger date?

GPS FinanceGPS Finance

It is currently set at 30 days after rule trigger date, but I need to change it so the alert goes out 30 days after the date that is entered in that field.

phiberoptikphiberoptik

Indeed. You answered your own question.

If a record has a blank date field, then you edit it and enter the date 3/1/2013. Currently, the email will go out 30 days after TODAY, because today is the date the rule triggered.

If you change the time trigger to 30 days after Date_Field__c, the rule will fire 30 days after 3/1/2013.

GPS FinanceGPS Finance

That sounds easy, so this may be a stupid question. How do I change the time trigger? I'm on the Edit Rule page, but I can't figure out how to change it.

phiberoptikphiberoptik

When looking at the Workflow Rule page, you should see a section for Workflow Actions with an Edit button next to it. Click it, and then you should see two sections, one for Immediate Workflow Actions and one for Time-Dependent Workflow Actions. Under the latter, you should see your Time Trigger with Edit | Delete next to it. Click Edit.

GPS FinanceGPS Finance

When I click on the Edit button next to the Time Dependent Workflow Action, it takes me to the Email Alert page. I don't see anything that says Time Trigger. What am I missing?

phiberoptikphiberoptik
Sorry mate... I misguided you (my previous steps would have worked if you had the Time Trigger but not an action selected within the time trigger).

Click Remove on the workflow action within the time trigger, then create a new time trigger and add the email alert to it.
This was selected as the best answer
GPS FinanceGPS Finance

For some reason, the Add Time Trigger button is inactive and it won't let me click on it to add a new time trigger. But, I will create a new workflow rule and start over with your instructions. Thanks for your help.

phiberoptikphiberoptik
What is the evaluation critiera? You cannot add time triggers to rules with "created or everytime its edited" as the eval criteria.
GPS FinanceGPS Finance

The criteria is created, and any time it's edited to subsequently meet criteria.

phiberoptikphiberoptik
Very interesting. Its hard to tell without seeing what you're seeing but hopefully once you recreate the rule, everything will work.