function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Haroon AhmadHaroon Ahmad 

Set Field Value to Another in a Workflow

Hi,

In a worflow, can /i set the field update to set a field value to anoither field value. 

The field type is User(lookup).

Right now I'm being foirced to choose a specific user, but like to just set the value of this field to another field in the same object.

Thanks!

-Haroon

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Shannon HaleShannon Hale

Right now there is no way to use a workflow field update action to set a lookup field value to a dynamic value. You will need to use a trigger.

I know the Workflow team is aware of the gap, but I don't believe it's in their near-term backlog.

All Answers

Suresh RaghuramSuresh Raghuram

If u want to set a field value to another why cant u use a formula field .

More over you using a lookup field which will set to a value that is exist in the looup object. 

Shannon HaleShannon Hale

Right now there is no way to use a workflow field update action to set a lookup field value to a dynamic value. You will need to use a trigger.

I know the Workflow team is aware of the gap, but I don't believe it's in their near-term backlog.

This was selected as the best answer
sandeep@Salesforcesandeep@Salesforce

It is possible using Feild update and let it execute as per WF every time

Haroon AhmadHaroon Ahmad
Thanks, Shannon. Any particular reason why this issue is not really a high priority for them. Is it because it goes beyond the scope of 'declarative programming'?

Just curious.
Shannon HaleShannon Hale

We definitely want to expose this to declarative developers, and it's high on the list of declarative gaps we're working through right now. The Workflows team has been focused on approvals this last release (they added them to change sets and the metadata API in Summer '13 -- see the release notes for details), and I think they're continuing to work on that this release.

The other challenge with this particular item is that it has dependencies on other teams that need to be addressed before the Workflow team can do their part. Some of that work is being started in Winter '14 (safe harbor), which is the release we're starting to work on now, but it's not the whole thing.

Sorry, wish I could be more specific about when it might be coming!