function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
springerwaspringerwa 

Possible to Trigger field updates for completely unrelated objects?

I have a Custom Object that has a record for each state and our vendor for that state and a few fields about the vendor that I would like to have passed to the corresponding Account fields.

Custom Object fields:

Vendor Name

Vendor District

Vendor Number

Vendor Active?

Account fields:

Vendor Name

Vendor District

Vendor Number

Vendor Active?

Is there any way to have a trigger update all Accounts records with the vendor for a particular state if the BillingState matches the state field in the custom object?

I did try a VERY LONG formula field that filled these in based on state but I noticed that it put a tremendous drag on bringing up the Account Tab now and since they very rarely change (mostly Active Yes/No but Districts are evolving much more often than previously and therefore the need for an alternate solution) I thought having a trigger update the Account fields if the Custom Object fields change would be less taxing.

I haven't seen any posts that seem to address this and I don't want to beat my head against the wall any longer if its just not possible.

jhenningjhenning
yes, using an 'after insert' and 'after update' trigger on your custom object to update the accounts would work for you.