function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ericszulcericszulc 

Generic get set function for visualforce and apex

Hello All,

I have a bit of a quandry. Excuse me if I'm a bit out of my element while trying to describe this, but here goes... I'd like to write a generic getter setter function in apex such that I can state any variable and have a single function handle the request. And I have to be able to use the get function from visualforce -- so I can't pass in a parameter into the function, correct? For instance, let's say I have three String variables.

String a;

String b;

String c;

And I write get functions as normal.

String getA() {return a;}

String getB() {return b;}

String getC() {return c;}

All is good and works easily with visualforce. But in my case I have possibly hundreds of variables, and would prefer not to write get function for every single one. I'm envisioning something like:

String get(String x) {return x;}

But, of course, that doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to make what I've described work?

Thanks in advance.

e.

iBr0theriBr0ther

There's another way for getter/setter:

public String a {get;set;}

is the same as:

String a;

public String getA() {return a;}

public void setA(String v){a=v;}

Cheers,

ericszulcericszulc

Thanks PoorMan,

I'm looking for something a bit different. For instance, instead of writing this:

String a {get;set;}

String b {get;set;}

String c {get;set;}

//repeat x100 or more

i want to simply write one function that can handle many variables that can be retrieved via visualforce. Again, I don't think this works, but it's captures what I'm thinking.

String get(String x) {return x;}

Atleast then I would not have to write 100's of get/set statements but just 1.

docbilldocbill

Why not just use a Map?  I suspect if you have need you can even make your class an extension of Map.

Bill

kantravikantkantravikant

Hey Bill,

May you little bit elaborate how to use map in this case?

Thanks 

Ravi

docbilldocbill

<apex:outputText value="{!mymap['a']}"/>

<apex:outputText value="{!mymap['b']}"/>

<apex:outputText value="{!mymap['c']}"/>

Google map reference in visualforce and you'll find some more interesting examples, as well as some bugs to avoid.   The biggest problem I've had with maps in visualforce is if you are not careful, you can end-up with run-time errors from undefined values.

kantravikantkantravikant

Thanks Bill.