function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sparkysparky 

Metadata problem with Eclipse IDE & Winter '10?

We're getting a problem in Eclipse when trying to add/remove metadata components.  One visible symptom is that report folders are showing up under Email and vice-versa.  And my package.xml is ending up corrupted/blank.  It seems to be getting data back from the metadata API that it's having trouble dealing with.

We strongly suspect this is a new problem introduced with Winter '10.  Because:

* the problem just started in the last day or 2

* we haven't changed eclipse environment in that time

* it's only occurring with servers that have been upgraded to winter '10 (at time of this writing, not all of them have been), and it seems to be happening with every instance that's on an upgraded server

* it's happening to muliple colleagues, so it's not a local client issue

This is causing major problems trying to deploy code in Eclipse.  I tried calling support but they had no idea.  Can anyone over at SF help here?  Anyone else seeing this problem?

To recreate:

* in eclipse, create new project for a winter 10 instance

* after entering login, choose "Selected Metadata Components", and click Choose..

* expand the Email node, and notice if there are report folders in there

Thanks!

Message Edited by sparky on 10-09-2009 05:11 PM
Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Bill EidsonBill Eidson

Thanks for your post.  We have confirmed that, for the package manifest editor, the API is returning all the different folders for each type of folder (like you said, Report folders show up in email and vice-versa).  This should be fixed in the next scheduled patch release (the middle of next week) - I will update this thread if otherwise.

In the meantime, however, if you use the package manifest editor and choose the folders you want (ignoring those of the wrong type), the package.xml gets generated correctly and the content is retrieved correctly.  Similarly, if you're not using the package manifest editor (using an existing project or selecting a package), everything is retrieved correctly.

If the above workaround doesn't work for you, or you see other issues, please let me know the steps to reproduce, the organization id, etc.; I'll send a private message so you can forward me the details if necessary.

Thanks,

- Bill

All Answers

ThomasTTThomasTT
+1
ThomasTT
Bill EidsonBill Eidson

Thanks for your post.  We have confirmed that, for the package manifest editor, the API is returning all the different folders for each type of folder (like you said, Report folders show up in email and vice-versa).  This should be fixed in the next scheduled patch release (the middle of next week) - I will update this thread if otherwise.

In the meantime, however, if you use the package manifest editor and choose the folders you want (ignoring those of the wrong type), the package.xml gets generated correctly and the content is retrieved correctly.  Similarly, if you're not using the package manifest editor (using an existing project or selecting a package), everything is retrieved correctly.

If the above workaround doesn't work for you, or you see other issues, please let me know the steps to reproduce, the organization id, etc.; I'll send a private message so you can forward me the details if necessary.

Thanks,

- Bill

This was selected as the best answer
JonPJonP

Just to clarify, the upcoming patch will be a server-side change to the Metadata API.

There is no new Force.com IDE release coming for Winter '10, as stated in the Winter '10 release notes.

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

sparkysparky
Thanks, Bill!  I will look forward to the fix.
Volker_factory42Volker_factory42

I created a new Dev-Account last week on na7 with Winter10. Everythink was working fine. But this week Force.com IDE (16) wanted to upgrade(!) to Summer09.

Do you know if there is also an Issue with new Dev-Account?

JonPJonP

This definitely is not a problem with your NA7 organization.  It looks like an obscure IDE issue.

IDE versions are tied to the platform API version to which they connect.  The Summer '09 IDE (v16) connects to v16 of the Metadata API.  (With each platform release we maintain backward compatibility with our previous APIs, so that your integrations will be unaffected by our upgrades.)

Winter '10 is v17, but for a variety of reasons we are not releasing a Winter '10 (v17) IDE, as a one time event.  The next major release of the IDE will be Spring '10 (v18).

So all this background info is to say, don't be alarmed that the IDE is trying to 'upgrade' your project to v16 when the platform is on v17, as the IDE is still accessing the v16 versions of metadata.

Now, I do think you're seeing an IDE bug, where for some reason it has failed to identify that your project is already at v16.  This wouldn't have to do with the individual metadata files, only with the Eclipse project settings.  I saw this yesterday when I renamed an existing project, and suddenly the IDE thought the project needed to be upgraded.  

We are looking into the issue and hope to provide a workaround shortly.  In the meantime, the easiest thing may be for you just to recreate your project.  If you have complex file selection criteria, you can create a new project with the "None" contents option, then copy/paste your old package.xml file over the new one and do src > right-click > Force.com > Refresh from Server.

Jon

salesforce.com Product Manager

Message Edited by JonP on 10-21-2009 09:19 AM

Hi Jon,

thanks for your Feedback. I solved the problem by checkin it out again from our Subversion. It was realy strange, but now it's working again :smileyvery-happy:

Again Monday morning and get the same message. Force.com IDE wants to "Upgrade" to Summer 09? I still thing there's something wrong with Force.com IDE and this account. Is there a known issue?