function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
OpsterOpster 

Trigger on Lead Status change to alter Lead Owner?

I know how to write a trigger for Lead Conversion, but what about a trigger to change the lead owner to the current user when Lead Status field is altered to a specific value?

The basic goal here is I have a workflow that creates tasks for the Lead Owner when the status of a lead is altered to "qualified".  However, the Lead Owner is not always the Current User who performed the status change.  So I need to alter the Lead Owner to the Current User prior to the status change so that the task is created for the Current User/New Lead Owner.  

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
dkorba2k5dkorba2k5

Not quite.  You don't need to do the SOQL query since you're in a before trigger and you won't want to do an update from there either.  The record is already in memory.  So change it to something like this:

trigger LeadUpdate on Lead (before update) { // no bulk processing; will only run from the UI if (Trigger.new.size() == 1) { // if a Lead has been updated to Qualified if (Trigger.new[0].Status == 'Qualified') { // Change Trigger.old[0].OwnerId to Current User ID Trigger.new[0].OwnerId = UserInfo.getUserId(); } } }

All Answers

dkorba2k5dkorba2k5
Use a Before Trigger.  Then you can look for the lead status change and if it's "qualified" change it to the current user.  Then that should fire before your workflow.
OpsterOpster
How can I get the Current User?  Can you post a code snippet?
dkorba2k5dkorba2k5

UserInfo.getUserId();

returns the id of the currently running user.

OpsterOpster

Does this look right?

trigger LeadUpdate on Lead (before update) { // no bulk processing; will only run from the UI if (Trigger.new.size() == 1) { // if a Lead has been updated to Qualified if (Trigger.new[0].Status == 'Qualified') { // Change Trigger.old[0].OwnerId to Current User ID Lead l = [SELECT id, OwnerId FROM Lead WHERE id =: Trigger.old[0].Id]; l.OwnerId = UserInfo.getUserId(); update l; } } }

OpsterOpster

That code saves but I get an error when I try and save a lead with Status of Qualified:

"Error: Invalid Data.
Review all error messages below to correct your data.
Apex trigger LeadUpdate caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: LeadUpdate: execution of BeforeUpdate caused by: System.DmlException: Update failed. First exception on row 0 with id 00Q4000000PRH7JEAX; first error: SELF_REFERENCE_FROM_TRIGGER, Object (id = 00Q4000000PRH7J) is currently in trigger LeadUpdate, therefore it cannot recursively update itself: []: Trigger.LeadUpdate: line 19, column 13"

dkorba2k5dkorba2k5

Not quite.  You don't need to do the SOQL query since you're in a before trigger and you won't want to do an update from there either.  The record is already in memory.  So change it to something like this:

trigger LeadUpdate on Lead (before update) { // no bulk processing; will only run from the UI if (Trigger.new.size() == 1) { // if a Lead has been updated to Qualified if (Trigger.new[0].Status == 'Qualified') { // Change Trigger.old[0].OwnerId to Current User ID Trigger.new[0].OwnerId = UserInfo.getUserId(); } } }

This was selected as the best answer
OpsterOpster
Fantastic, and great info.  Thanks for the help.