function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
DianeMDianeM 

Deploying Public Custom settings with Eclipse and ant tool

I have created a number of public custom settings - I really do want the settings to be public since I am using them to allow users to set options.  In my development org I define the settings as public.  When they are deployed to an other environment either through eclipse or the ant task, the custom setting is protected.

Is there a bug in the deployment tool?  When I look at the custom settings in the object in eclipse I see no reference to it being public so perhaps that is where the issue is.

Has anyone been able to successfully deploy public custom settings and if so, how did you do it?

Thanks,

Diane 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
tmatthiesentmatthiesen
Custom Settings default to protected.  You need to set customSettingsVisibility <xsd:element name="customSettingsVisibility" minOccurs="0" type="tns:CustomSettingsVisibility"/> to public when you deploy. This is element was added in the 17.0 version.

All Answers

tmatthiesentmatthiesen
Custom Settings default to protected.  You need to set customSettingsVisibility <xsd:element name="customSettingsVisibility" minOccurs="0" type="tns:CustomSettingsVisibility"/> to public when you deploy. This is element was added in the 17.0 version.
This was selected as the best answer
DianeMDianeM

This seems like the perfect answer except I can't make it work.

I added     <customSettingsVisibility>Public</customSettingsVisibility> to the xml file for my custom setting and then deployed using the migration tool.  I have confirmed that the migration tool is at the winter '10 level.  I get the following error message

objects/Form_Names__c.object(4,64):Error parsing file: 'public' is not a valid value for the enum 'CustomSettingsVisibility'

I have tried spelling public with upper and lower case and still the same result.

I appreciate your help with this.

Regards,

Diane 

DianeMDianeM
Using the migration tool for Spring '10  that was released earlier this week, the <customSettingsVisibility> setting works beautifully.  Thank you for your help.
Ken_KoellnerKen_Koellner

Do you know if both Hierarchy and List Custom Settings can be deployed?

It looks to be like List Custom Settings behave a lot like regular Custom Objects.  I can see them in Eclipse by sellecting them in Custom Objects.

It appears that Hiearchy Custom Objects are a different beast though.

Any way to deploy these?

It would also be great if I could deploy data but I don't see anything to do that either.  I see my List Custom Settings offered in Data Loader so I figured I could use that for List.  Do I just have to type the data in for Hierarchy Custom Settings?