function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sunny-434Sunny-434 

Not able to link account and contact objects

Hello All,

I am new to force.com and to Apex and I am still getting settled on this. So pardon me if I ask some naive questions.

I want to link Account and Contact objects. What I mean by that is, when I open a particular Account object, I should be able to see a Contact linked to it.

To accomplish that, I followed a below steps

1. Created a apex class with the following code

public class Assignment {
    public static void method1(Account[] acts){
        for(Account a : acts){
            Contact c = new Contact (lastname='maila', account=a, Birthdate=System.today()-System.today().year()-7000);
             insert c;
        }
    }
}

2. Created a before insert trigger on Accounts, which calls the above class. Code for the trigger is below

trigger GenaricTrigger on Account (after insert) {
    Account[] acts=Trigger.new;
    Assignment.method1(acts);

}

3. Now I go an create a new Account Object and I expected to see a contact linked to it. But I am not able to find it.

Although a new contact object is been Created, I am not able to link them both.

Thank you folks in advance

--Sunny

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
SargeSarge

Use "accountId" field instead of "account" while inserting contacts.

Contact c = new Contact (lastname='maila', accountId=a.id, Birthdate=System.today()-System.today().year()-700

0);

Also a suggestion. It is always best practice to have a DML operation outside loops. So while creating contacts make a list of contacts collected in for loop and then insert the list outside for loop.

Cheers.

All Answers

SargeSarge

Use "accountId" field instead of "account" while inserting contacts.

Contact c = new Contact (lastname='maila', accountId=a.id, Birthdate=System.today()-System.today().year()-700

0);

Also a suggestion. It is always best practice to have a DML operation outside loops. So while creating contacts make a list of contacts collected in for loop and then insert the list outside for loop.

Cheers.

This was selected as the best answer
Sunny-434Sunny-434

Thank you so much Sarge.

I have accepted you soultion and it works now. I do have a followup question though.

When I look for the fields in Contacts, I donot find the "accountId" fiield. But when I assigned it a value it did accept.  How is that possible ?

Does it mean it has fields which are not visible ?

-- Santhosh

SargeSarge

Hi Santosh,

In standard objects, the look-up field in apex to another standard object is referred in this way. Hence the Opportunity has Account as a standard field which is lookup, it is again referred in Apex as "accountId" rather "account"