function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
cribiscribis 

Creating a New Record in the Same Object

I am wortking on a conversion tool for a custom object (Customer Bulk Density). the thought process is that if a user create a bulk density record in Lbs/ft3, Salesforce will create a duplicate record in Kg/m3. Currently I am trying to write the trigger to create the new record, but am running into the following error:

Error: Compile Error: Method does not exist or incorrect signature: Customer_Bulk_Density__c.put(Id, SOBJECT:Customer_Bulk_Density__c) at line 15 column 7

Below is the code:

trigger BulkDensityConversion on Customer_Bulk_Density__c (after insert) {
    Set<Id> bIds = new Set<Id>();
    for(Customer_Bulk_Density__c c:trigger.new){
    bIds.add(c.id);
    }

System.debug('****1 : B Id size '+ bIds.size());
    List<Customer_Bulk_Density__c> c = [Select id, name, Customer_Product__c, Customer_Product_2__c, Customer_Product_3__c from Customer_Bulk_Density__c where id in:bIds];

System.debug('****2 : b size '+ bIds.size());
    if (c.size() > 0) {
    List <Customer_Bulk_Density__c> design= new List <Customer_Bulk_Density__c>();
    Map<id, Customer_Bulk_Density__c> capacity = new map<id, Customer_Bulk_Density__c>();
    for(Customer_Bulk_Density__c m: c) {
      Customer_Bulk_Density__c.put(m.id, m);
    }

//Loop through the records and create a Bulk Density Record

Id n1;

for(Customer_Bulk_Density__c y : trigger.new) {
        n1 = bulk.get(y.id).WhatId;

Customer_Bulk_Density__c s = new Customer_Bulk_Density__c(
        Name = trigger.new[0].name,
        Customer_Product__c=trigger.new[0].Customer_Product__c,
        Customer_Product_2__c=trigger.new[0].Customer_Product_2__c,
        Customer_Product_3__c=trigger.new[0].Customer_Product_3__c
        );

insert s;

}

}
    }

How do I solve this error?

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
rungerrunger

You're trying to call put() as a static method.  Did you, perhaps, intend to put it in the map you'd just created, like:

capacity.put(m.id, m);

There are several things I don't understand about what you're trying to do.  The first query (line 8) appears to be doing a query to get a list of objects identical to what's already in trigger.new.  Seems like you could just as easily say:

List<Customer_Bulk_Density__c> c = trigger.new;

to avoid the query.

When you're looping through trigger.new and creating bulk density records, you refer to trigger.new[0], instead of having a loop counter, like:

for (integer i=0; i < trigger.new.size(); i++) {

Name=trigger.new[i].name

}

finally, you insert each new record individually.  You'll really want to add them to a list, and have just one insert call after the for loop that just inserts the whole list.

Rich

All Answers

Jeremy.NottinghJeremy.Nottingh

This line:

Customer_Bulk_Density__c.put(m.id, m);

Should be

capacity.put(m.id, m);

See if it works now.

Jeremy

rungerrunger

You're trying to call put() as a static method.  Did you, perhaps, intend to put it in the map you'd just created, like:

capacity.put(m.id, m);

There are several things I don't understand about what you're trying to do.  The first query (line 8) appears to be doing a query to get a list of objects identical to what's already in trigger.new.  Seems like you could just as easily say:

List<Customer_Bulk_Density__c> c = trigger.new;

to avoid the query.

When you're looping through trigger.new and creating bulk density records, you refer to trigger.new[0], instead of having a loop counter, like:

for (integer i=0; i < trigger.new.size(); i++) {

Name=trigger.new[i].name

}

finally, you insert each new record individually.  You'll really want to add them to a list, and have just one insert call after the for loop that just inserts the whole list.

Rich

This was selected as the best answer
cribiscribis

Both suggestions did the trick. Thank you for your help.