function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Sushant RaoSushant Rao 

System.FinalException: Collection is read-only..... Map<String, Schema.SObjectField>

I am getting this error when this method is run.Specifically the remove(). I tried deepcloning a copy, and removing that. Doesn't work. Any solutions ???

System.FinalException: Collection is read-only

private void createExcludeList(){

Map<String, Schema.SObjectField> fieldmap1 = Schema.SObjectType.Account.fields.getMap();

List<String> fieldExcludeList = new List<String> {
                'LastModifiedDate', 'LastActivityDate', 'SystemModstamp'};

for(integer i=0; i<(fieldmap1.size()-fieldExcludeList.size()); i++)
                fieldmap1.remove(fieldExcludeList[i]);      //LINE THAT IS CAUSING THE ERROR

}

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
nnewbold-sfdcnnewbold-sfdc

Rather than removing, you might try adding to a list.  In other words, loop over the map and add to a new map that doesn't include those fields.

Map<String, Schema.SObjectField> fieldmap = new Map<String, Schema.SObjectField>();
Set<String> fieldExcludeList = new Set<String>{'LastModifiedDate', 'LastActivityDate', 'SystemModstamp'};
for(Schema.SObjectField F : Schema.SObjectType.Account.fields.getMap().values()) {
    if (!fieldExcludeList.contains(F.getDescribe().getName())) {
        fieldmap.put(f.getDescribe().getName(), F);
    }
}

Map<String, Schema.SObjectField> fieldmap = new Map<String, Schema.SObjectField>();

Set<String> fieldExcludeList = new Set<String>{'LastModifiedDate', 'LastActivityDate', 'SystemModstamp'};

for(Schema.SObjectField F : Schema.SObjectType.Account.fields.getMap().values()) {

}

}

All Answers

Rather than removing, you might try adding to a list.  In other words, loop over the map and add to a new map that doesn't include those fields.

}
}

}

}

This was selected as the best answer
Sushant RaoSushant Rao

Thanks. Haven't tried if it works, but I know there is know contains method on lists.

Also do you have any idea why this is write protected?

I tested the above snippet in the system log and it seems to get the job done.

I don't have a clue why it's write protected.  The best guess I could give is that it's making a reference to the Schema map rather than a copy.  Total speculation, though.

p.s. I switched to a Set instead of a List.  That's why the contains method is there.

Sushant RaoSushant Rao

Thanks for the Ultra Quick response, :smileyvery-happy: I went the same route with sets and it worked.

Sushant RaoSushant Rao

Also here is a way to do less 'describes' if that matters to you.

private void createExcludeList(){

Map<String, Schema.SObjectField> tempMap = Schema.SObjectType.Account.fields.getMap();
            Set<String> fieldExcludeList = new Set<String> {
                'lastModifiedDate', 'LastActivityDate', 'SystemModstamp' };

for (String fieldname: tempMap.keySet()){
                if(!fieldExcludeList.contains(fieldname))
                    fieldmap.put(fieldname, tempMap.get(fieldname));
            }

}