function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jtenganfoldingsjtenganfoldings 

Couple questions about deploying/packaging apex trigger

I have created an apex trigger in my developer edition of salesforce, and now I need to deploy/package it and install it onto my company's professional edition.

First of all, I believe it is possible but not 100% sure. I've been searching around, and it seems like apex triggers can be packaged and installed on professional edition but need to pass a security test or something. Can anyone fill me in on this or point me to something that explains it?

Also, assuming it is possible I have a few questions. The trigger that I made works on a custom object as well as a built in object (case) with custom fields added. The custom object and fields already exist in my company's professional edition. How will that work? When I tried to use the deply option in eclipse with the force.com plugin, I noticed that it gave me the choice to remove the action to overwrite the custom objects, but when I created the (unmanaged) package it didn't give me any similar options. Will the package automatically detect if the dependencies already exist or will it overwrite the objects (I would like it to NOT overwrite)? I did not recreate the custom object exactly as it is in my company's instance, just the fields that are needed in the trigger.

Thanks for any help.

ColinKenworthy2ColinKenworthy2
There must be Test Methods that will run 75% of your prod org's entire trigger code else it will not deploy.
jtenganfoldingsjtenganfoldings

Thanks for your response.

I have Test methods and the coverage is 100%. However, when I get to step 3 in the deployment wizard, the Apply Action? column for my trigger says 'No Action' and when I select that row, there is a message below the grid that says 'Component type not permissible in destination organization.' I believe that this is because it is a professional version, and I need to do the security review and create a package.

Perhaps I should've asked about not overwriting my custom objects should be asked in the AppExchange Directory & Packaging board.

Message Edited by jtenganfoldings on 02-18-2010 03:49 PM
dclaardclaar

I am running into exactly this issue, and this is the only place that google finds "Component type not permissible in destination organization". All the Salesforce doc and wiki pages, etc, act like it should just work. Test coverage is above 75%, I'm pretty sure we have Enterprise, but it just doesn't work.

Whether I click on src, or select the apex trigger directly, I get all the way to step 3, and it just refuses to let me deploy my trigger. It's really frustrating!

I chose environment="Production/Developer Edition" in step 1. I tried Other, giving www.salesforce.com as the hostname.

Wow, this is not an easy environment to work in!

drewpiston.ax678drewpiston.ax678

Make sure you have the "Author Apex" permission checked in your profile.

megaleg1389megaleg1389

Thank you for posting this...this is exactly what was holding up my deployment.