function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
haralambosharalambos 

For loop & query for custom object

Hello,

I am new at this so please bare with me but I am trying to create an Apex class with a query in a custom object.

The custom Object is called "SIM"

I basically want to use a For loop to sum a field for all records under this object that have the same two fields

The two fields are called:

"Account" which is a masterdetail relationship lookup field to the Standard Account Object

"Item" which is a masterdetail relationship lookup field to a Custom Object called "INV"

However to do this I need to first retrieve the account ID or name.  I tried somehting like this:

String accountId = SIM__c.Account__c.getId();

and I got this error:

ErrorError: Compile Error: Method does not exist or incorrect signature: [Schema.SObjectField].getId()

Any Ideas?

I think the code would be different for the two since one is Master/detail lokup to a standard object and the other to a custom object.  I need help for both of them.

Thanks in advance!!

DharmeshDharmesh

As account is standard object here is the way you can access acount id

String accountId = SIM__c.Account.id;

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

The account's ID value would be simply the contents of the field:

Id accountId = SIM__c.Account__c;

Lookup fields only appear to reference the name of the record it looks up when using the graphical interface; non-technical users appreciate being able to see John Doe instead of 003X000000aD3Fz when they view a record on their screen or in a report. The Salesforce database always stores just a link to the record (hence the term "lookup field") by using that record's unique ID value; this value is what Apex Code and the API see when you reference the field's value.