function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
hometeamhometeam 

Too many query rows - but needing to update all of them

I know this is one of the most popular topics on the board and I've spent a day reading and trying several of the posted suggestions but I'm not finding a workable solution (or one that I understand) to help me.

What I need to do is traverse through all open opportunities and based on some criteria on the account either mark the opportunity as closed/won or closed/lost.  So I will have a large query.  I could in theory split the query but then I'm doing multiple loops and from what I read that's not best practises. 

This is my class and what I'm needing to understand is what is the correct way I handle the large number of rows returned from the query when I have to update each row. 

public class clsCloseOppty { 

public void CloseOppty() {
		List<Opportunity> OpptyToUpdate = new List<Opportunity>();

// Set This Years Close date to use in the record query
		Date dCloseDate = date.newinstance(date.today().year(),04,01);

// Query for this years Opportunities along with the Account Type 
		List<Account> ClsOpptys = [Select a.name, a.Type, (Select o.Id, o.Name from Opportunities o where o.closedate = :dCloseDate) From Account a];

// Loop through ClsAccts
		for (Account a : ClsOpptys) {
			// Set value for Stage
			string strStage = 'Closed/Lost';	
			if (a.Type == 'Existing Agency') {
				strStage = 'Closed/Won';
			}

// Get the oppty Id
			for (Opportunity opp : a.opportunities){	
				ID id = opp.Id;

Opportunity O = New Opportunity(Id=Id, StageName=strStage);
				OpptyToUpdate.add(O);
			}		
		}
		update OpptyToUpdate;
	}
}

This is my query:

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

There's a couple of ways to handle this, depending on the volumes.

If you are guaranteed to have less than 10000 records, you can use the multiple record version of the SOQL for loop.  In this, each time through the for loop you process 200 records.

for (Account[] ClsOpptys : [Select a.name, a.Type, (Select o.Id, o.Name from Opportunities o where o.closedate = :dCloseDate) From Account a])
{
   // Loop through ClsAccts

However, this won't work if you can have more than 10000 records, as thats a limit for the maximum number that can be retrieved.

The other way (and more suitable IMHO) is to use batch apex.  This allows you to iterate all records in the system in batches.   There's full documentation at: 

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_batch_interface.htm

If you need to run this at regular intervals, I'd suggest you look at scheduled apex too.

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

There's a couple of ways to handle this, depending on the volumes.

If you are guaranteed to have less than 10000 records, you can use the multiple record version of the SOQL for loop.  In this, each time through the for loop you process 200 records.

for (Account[] ClsOpptys : [Select a.name, a.Type, (Select o.Id, o.Name from Opportunities o where o.closedate = :dCloseDate) From Account a])
{
   // Loop through ClsAccts

However, this won't work if you can have more than 10000 records, as thats a limit for the maximum number that can be retrieved.

The other way (and more suitable IMHO) is to use batch apex.  This allows you to iterate all records in the system in batches.   There's full documentation at: 

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/Content/apex_batch_interface.htm

If you need to run this at regular intervals, I'd suggest you look at scheduled apex too.

This was selected as the best answer
hometeamhometeam

You're fantastic!  Thank you.  This works perfectly