function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Eager-2-LearnEager-2-Learn 

Weekly Export Data Backup?

Hi,

I know I have posted this question a few months ago but I am having trouble excepting that there is not a non-additional 3rd party tool cost to achieve the same results.

If I can do to the SFDC Weekly Export Service page and click a download link why wouldn't their be an ability to call an API call to iterate through the files and download them to a client machine.  Are we certain that there is no functionality available to a developer that allows us programmatic ability as oppose to logging in each week and clicking through 10 or more links to save the files to a client side drive? 

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
gsmithfarmergsmithfarmer

CopyForceH2 packages everything needed to create the H2 database into the CopyForceH2 jar. No extra jars are required.

To manipulate the created database you will need to grab H2. An install can be as simple as an unzip.

For CopyForceOracle and CopyForceSQLServer the corresponding database has to be installed ahead of time but no extra jars are required (the jdbc jars are packaged with the CopyForce jar.

All Answers

gsmithfarmergsmithfarmer

We backup directly into a local relational database using http://code.google.com/p/sqlforce/wiki/CopyForce

We found the intermediate step of CSV files too awkward. We always had to load the files into an RDBM anyway.

The tool is cheap enough (on transaction counts) to run every day and also does incremental backups.

Best of all it is open source.

If you just want a backup for safety, I recommend CopyForceH2.

If you want to use the data, then go with CopyForceSQlServer or CopyForceOracle.

At the initial glance it looks like CopyForceH2 required an install of the H2 database?  Can this CopyForceH2 perform a connection to SFDC and simply download the archived backup files or do I have to also install the H2 database in order for CopyForceH2 to work?

I am asking because I am not actually in IT although I support or SFDC ORG.  It is very hard to get programs installed on our machine without going through lots of red-tape!

gsmithfarmergsmithfarmer

CopyForceH2 packages everything needed to create the H2 database into the CopyForceH2 jar. No extra jars are required.

To manipulate the created database you will need to grab H2. An install can be as simple as an unzip.

For CopyForceOracle and CopyForceSQLServer the corresponding database has to be installed ahead of time but no extra jars are required (the jdbc jars are packaged with the CopyForce jar.

This was selected as the best answer
RajivRajiv

I also had the same issue with the backup of salesforce data as we don’t use MS Sql.So i came across this brilliant app on AppExchange which allows users to schedule the backup between full and incremental, so we are saving the most important information more often, and it lowered our down time, since we are not backing everything up at once.Also all of the information is stored into your system, or any other logical device, so mobility and portability of data is maintained.The GUI is also very intuitive.To be fair, I didn’t even know Backup/Restore could be done so easily.

Sounds great but you failed to mention the name of the app? :)

RajivRajiv

i am talking about Avepoint’s DocAve for Salesforce.

MurrayMurray

Hi Eager-2-Learn, you might also take a look at CloudAlly. We provide cloud-to-cloud based automated daily backups of Salesforce and Chatter to unlimited Amazon S3 secure storage, eliminating the manually intensive weekly process of exporting and storing data on client-side drives.

We support Group, Professional, Enterprise (non-profit) and Unlimited editions, and you can activate backups for multiple salesforce organizations with a few simple clicks. Daily archives are retained for as long as you maintain your CloudAlly subscription so you can recover data from any point in time.

And if you're a Google Apps user, we backup all domains associated with your Google Apps account as well.

Please let me know if you are interested in our Reseller / Referral Partner Program and I will be happy to provide additional information. 

For more information and to signup for a free 15-day trial (no credit card required) visit www.cloudally.com or our listing on the Salesforce AppExchange.

Murray Moceri

Marketing Director, CloudAlly