function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
BigpermBigperm 

Creating a document storage to imbed into contacts

Hello everyone,

I had a question, or one that may turn into a series of questions, I'm currently working for a staffing agency that deals with Hospitals. It is very important for the documentation of the nurses we staff to be up-to-date and also have queries running to insure that they stay that way. (Certain certs will become invalid after say 60 days, we can't place someone with invalid documentation etc.)

I haven't been able to find a way using the basic form of Salesforce to create this. I wanted to start the process of creating one using the tools found here. I was curious, and I'll be doing my own searches as well, if anyone had any information or even past board post on creating such a thing. I'm currently powering through some of the beginner documentation available, but if anyone could share any other links or bastions of knowledge that may be helpful.

The picture we have is: A imbedded app located in the contacts' profile that will show stored documentation. In this embedded app is a place to upload several different docs that the recruiters gather from the nurses (the person we staff). Next to the file is a date of when the cert will expire.

I would be extremely open to any suggestions or thoughts on this. Thank you so much. So far the Salesforce community has been amazing.

Cory CowgillCory Cowgill

I am not sure what you mean by Embedded Application.

Salesforce has several places where you can store documents which can make it confusing, and some of the functionality overlaps. But maybe this will help you at least pin down your seach scope.

You can store files as Notes and Attachments on Object.

You can store files in Salesforce Documents.

You can store files in Salesforce Content. This is more flexible than Salesforce Documents and allows for Versioning, Password Protecting Content, and a bunch of other features.

BigpermBigperm

Hi Cory,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my confusing question. I've done some more digging around and can better ask my question.

I am currently making a visualforce page for our nurse "contacts". I wanted to add into the page a place to store documents for my users. These documents I needed to place somewhere more complex than the "notes and Documents" list as it does not allow (at least in my understanding) the functionality to do what I needed.

And again, what I needed was the ability to upload a series of documents and allow the user to set up a calendar date associated with it. When that date has come, I wanted it to either e-mail the owner of the contact or communicate within salesforce.

And more importantly is just a place to store documents and input more information about them then what the "Notes and Documents" list allows.

Perhaps Salesforce Content or Salesforce Documents could work. But, my thought would be that these documents are specific per the contact (I.e. the documents are related to one nurse (contact) only). Do either of these two storage types allow for contact specific storage? Does that make sense?