function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
elghoul_girlelghoul_girl 

Help Please URGENT: StandardSetController Vs. StandardController

Hello Everybody,

I am new to Apex and really need your help. I am doing now an extension to a standard controller and I am lost. when should I use "StandardSetController" and when do I use "StandardController"? this is my first question.

I am also trying to create a VF listing page for Accounts. and I have three record types and I want to get the list for each record type and bind it to a seperate pageblock. How cann I do it please?

Thanks......

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Ah - missed the obvious.

These lines:

for(RecordType rt: rtypes)  
      PriorityRecordTypes.put(rt.Name,rt.Id);

are at the class level which isn't allowed - presumably these should be inside a method? 

All Answers

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

The quick answer is that you'd use the standard controller for a single instance and the standard set controller for a list of objects.  

I'd also suggest you take a look at the VisualForce Developer's Guide at:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/pages/index_Left.htm#CSHID=Template%2FSplash.htm|StartTopic=Content%2FTemplate%2FSplash.htm|SkinName=webhelp

as this will give you chapter and verse of all things VF.

WRT your second question, there are a variety of ways to do this, but one way is to have a separate getter on the controller for each record type that retrieves the information via a SOQL select and use the resulting list of accounts to back a pageblocktable.  Again, if you have a look at the developer's guide this should help.

elghoul_girlelghoul_girl

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.. I have problem with the for loop. it is not working : I got the following error:

" Error: Compile Error: expecting right curly bracket, found 'for' at line 12 column 4 "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

public class PriorityExtension
{
    public PriorityExtension(ApexPages.StandardSetController controller)
    {
    }

private final Priority__c priority;

list<RecordType> rtypes= [select Name, ID from RecordType where sObjectType='Priority' and isActive= true];
    Map<String,String> PriorityRecordTypes=new Map<String,String>{};

ApexPages.StandardSetController setBannerCon
    {
      get
      {
        if(setBannerCon== null)
        {
            setBannerCon= new ApexPages.StandardSetController(Database.getQueryLocator(select Priority_Description__c from Priority__c where Active__c='True']));
        }
        return setBannerCon;
      }
      set;
    }

// Initialize setCon and return a list of records
    public List<Priority__c> getBannerPriorities()
    {
      return (List<Priority__c>) setBannerCon.getRecords();
    }
}

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

If you use the icon that looks like a clipboard with a 'C' in it you can post your code in an easier to read fashion.

I've highlighted what I think you need to change in red - if you use braces (aka curly brackets) rather than brackets, the compile will look for values to initialise the list with.  If you are just instantiating a new list, use brackets.

public class PriorityExtension
{
    public PriorityExtension(ApexPages.StandardSetController controller)
    {
    }
    private final Priority__c priority;

list<RecordType> rtypes= [select Name, ID from RecordType where sObjectType='Priority' and isActive= true];
    Map<String,String> PriorityRecordTypes=new Map<String,String>();

ApexPages.StandardSetController setBannerCon
    {
      get
      {
        if(setBannerCon== null)
        {
            setBannerCon= new ApexPages.StandardSetController(Database.getQueryLocator(select Priority_Description__c from Priority__c where Active__c='True']));
        }
        return setBannerCon;
      }
      set;
    }

// Initialize setCon and return a list of records
    public List<Priority__c> getBannerPriorities()
    {
      return (List<Priority__c>) setBannerCon.getRecords();
    }
}

elghoul_girlelghoul_girl

Hello, Same error :(

bob_buzzardbob_buzzard

Ah - missed the obvious.

These lines:

are at the class level which isn't allowed - presumably these should be inside a method? 

This was selected as the best answer