function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
chrispedchrisped 

Remote access app, Apex web service, and Group/Professional Edition support

I was hoping that someone can help me answer the following:

My Salesforce composite app recently received AppExchange approval.  I created Group and Professional edition organizations via the Partner Portal and proceeded to verify all functionality on these two orgs.

Part of my application is an Apex web service class exposed via remote access app.  I was expecting this to not work on Group and Professional according to the Salesforce packaging guide, specifically the following clause from page 16 of https://na1.salesforce.com/help/doc/en/salesforce_packaging_guide.pdf which states:

"Apex does not expose classes as a Web service - these can be installed, but not invoked. Apex classes that have been exposed as a web service cannot be invoked from an external web app in Group and Professional, even with this special permission.

For instance, let's say you also host a separate web app that needs to call an Apex class in your app. You might expose one of your Apex classes as a web service and include it in your managed package. For Developer, Enterprise, and Unlimited editions, you will be able to invoke this web service externally, but in Group and Professional editions, it will not work."

However, I am observing that in my Professional and Group orgs, the remote access app and web service are working fine.  I can authorize with Salesforce and retrieve data via the web service through the remote access app.

Can anyone verify that there is a distinction between remote access app and what is described in the packaging guide?

Thanks.

Mitesh SuraMitesh Sura

Dear chrisped,

I am an issue with my app and PE orgs. Customer cannot use the app, becuase the JavaScript button calls an apex web service. May I know how did you use remote settings to make this work? 

thanks