function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sswaminasswamina 

Trigger to assign value of lookup User field

Hi all,

I have a custom object Territory__c in which there is lookup(User) Regional_Director field. I am trying to assign the Regional Director to appropriate user.

Following is the code in a trigger I have and want to update the regional director lookup field after insert. However it gives the following error: "Regional Director: id value of incorrect type:". It looks like terr.regional_director__c returns a SObject so the assignment may not work, how can I get it working? Thanks much for your help.

trigger addSalesDirReps on Territory__c (before insert) {
    Territory__c [] territoryList = trigger.new;
    List <Territory__c> updatedListToInsert= new List <Territory__c>();

for(Territory__c terr: territoryList){
         List<User> lookupRMUser = [select Id from User where Name=:terr.Regional_Director_Name__c];
         terr.regional_director__c = lookupRM[0].Id;  
         updatedListToInsert.add(terr);
     }
    insert updatedListToInsert;

}

CB312CB312

Ok, first issue is you are using a SOQL statment inside a for-loop. This will cause you problems.

First you should create a map of ids for users and their managers. Then use that map to assign the value based on the division. This will help you in your trigger to handle bulk records.

sswaminasswamina

Thanks much for you suggestion.  Sorry, not sure if I understand, I am beginner in APEX programming

Please can you give me an example. Thanks much.

Shashikant SharmaShashikant Sharma

Try this trigger

Territory__c [] territoryList = trigger.new;
    List <Territory__c> updatedListToInsert= new List <Territory__c>();

for(Territory__c terr: territoryList){
         List<User> lookupRMUser = [select Id from User where Name =: terr.Regional_Director_Name__c Limit 1];
         if(lookupRMUser.size() > 0){
         terr.regional_director__c = lookupRMUser[0].Id;  
         updatedListToInsert.add(terr);
         }
     }
    if(updatedListToInsert.size() > 0) {
    insert updatedListToInsert;
    }
}

Also optimize your trigger check this :

http://forceschool.blogspot.com/2011/05/writing-apex-trigger-save-limits-in.html

Ritesh AswaneyRitesh Aswaney

Since you're writing a before trigger on Territory, you don't need an explicit Insert.

Map<String, Territory__c > userTerritoryMap = new Map<String, Territory__c>{};   
    for(Territory__c terr: Trigger.New)

userNames.put(terr.Regional_Director_Name__c, terr);  //assuming Regional Director names will be unique

for(User u : [select Id, Name from User where Name IN :userTerritoryMap.keySet()]) {

Territory__c territ = userTerritoryMap.get(u.Name)   ; //get corresponding territory for user from map      

territ.regional_director__c = u.Id;   //set regional director id from map

}

if(userTerritoryMap != null && !userTerritoryMap.isEmpty())

Database.update(userTerritoryMap);

}

sswaminasswamina

Thanks all, I will try the solutions and get back!