function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TryCodingTryCoding 

Separate standard and custom fields from Collection of fields

Hi All

i need to do some operation on all custom fields of custom objects

I am obtaining this object dynamically. So initially i do not know name of my custom, object.

And since i am getting object on the fly hence i do not know the fields

Now say if i get object myobject__c. Then i can retrieve all its fields by following code:

map<String, Schema.SObjectField> mapFields =  Schema.getGlobalDescribe().get(myobject__c).getDescribe().fields.getMap();

My problem is how do i separate standard and custom fields from this collection sothat i can operate only on custom fields.

Thanks in advance. Please Help

Let me know if i am not able to explain myself clearly and you need more details

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
mtbclimbermtbclimber

There are a couple of ways to identify custom fields. First is to get the describe for each Schema.SobjectField reference in the map and check the isCustom method on it.  The other is to simply look at the name of the field in the key. If it ends in __c then it's custom. 

Check out all the methods on Schema.DescribeFieldResult as you may find more useful info there:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content/apex_methods_system_fields_describe.htm?SearchType=Stem

All Answers

mtbclimbermtbclimber

There are a couple of ways to identify custom fields. First is to get the describe for each Schema.SobjectField reference in the map and check the isCustom method on it.  The other is to simply look at the name of the field in the key. If it ends in __c then it's custom. 

Check out all the methods on Schema.DescribeFieldResult as you may find more useful info there:

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/index_Left.htm#StartTopic=Content/apex_methods_system_fields_describe.htm?SearchType=Stem

This was selected as the best answer
TryCodingTryCoding

Thanks Andrew

First one will help me.. a lot of Thanks

I suppose looking at end __c will mean i have to do substring. Ans i did not want to do that

Thanks a lot for you kind help.