function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Force.comForce.com 

App Exchange Application based on Metadata API

Is it possible to develop an App Exchange application which is based on Metadata API.

Is Metadata Api xml organisation specific?

Please help.

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
sfdcfoxsfdcfox

It is possible to access the metadata API through Java, JavaScript, Flex, Silverlight, etc. The metadata API is generic, like the Partner API, and can be used in any organization with API access. You do not need to import WSDL for each new organization.

All Answers

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

It is possible to access the metadata API through Java, JavaScript, Flex, Silverlight, etc. The metadata API is generic, like the Partner API, and can be used in any organization with API access. You do not need to import WSDL for each new organization.

This was selected as the best answer
Force.comForce.com

Thanks for replying. 

Is it possible to create and retrieve dashboards and reports using Metadata API?

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

Yes, they are part of the metadata API. Note that I did make a small slip-up. While it is true that you can access the metadata API through any programming language, only the file-based API allows for "read" access (that is, you can create, update, and delete in the CRUD-based API, but there is no "read" ability). This means that using a language such as JavaScript will hinder your ability to read the metadata, as you'd have to have a ZIP-reading utility for JavaScript. I can't seem to find a readily available source for reading ZIP files, although I'm certain it must be possible. I'd recommend an embedded application, such as Silverlight or Java (applet) if you're going to go this route.

Force.comForce.com

This is what we want to do -

Generate an Apex class from metadat XML file.

Use this Apex class and build a native Force.com app that uses Metadata API and deploy it as an App Exchange App. Is this supported?

sfdcfoxsfdcfox

This isn't supported for a number of reasons, including no native ZIP support, and no "long execution" support (you can't have a script "sleep", for example). You could achieve this with SOA and some heavy JavaScript support, or by means of Java, Flex, or Silverlight. All of these means would be supported in the context of an AppExchange package.

Apex LearnerApex Learner

is there any way to edit picklist value through metadat API . 

I am current testing meta data API via SOAP ui and till now I am able to add picklist values .

but can not edit any perticuler picklist value 

eg . object : lead 

field : number__c

type : picklist

values : 1 , 2

any methode i cn edit 1 to 11  ??