function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
eswarsfeswarsf 

'Sharing Setting' option explanation in Master-Detail Relationship field

Hi,

I am creating a Master-Detail Relationship field on Child object.In step 3,there is a option called "Sharing Setting".I tried to understand through experiments but could not understand the significance of this setting.

Assume that i have selected "Read Only" here.In profile settings i have given basic 'Read' access for both master and Child objects.The Sharing setting for Master is 'Public Read-only'.Kindly explain how the records will be impacted by this setting.

Thanks.

NasipuriNasipuri

This is regarding who can/what is the minimum access on a record required to  create a child record for the master record.

If I need to minimum Read or Edit permission on that Master record to crate a Child record using the reference for that particular master record.

Thank sand Regards,

Dinesh Nasipuri

Dinesh.nasipuri@gmail.com

eswarsfeswarsf

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for your reply.Can you kindly explain me with an example?

Thanks and Regards,

Eswar.

NasipuriNasipuri

Say you have master object named Invoice, now you have invoice_Line_item  as child object, as one invoice can have one or many items.

That particular setting determine for adding a invoice_Line_item   to an invoice record .

If the user need to have Read permission or Edit permission on the Invoice record to do so.

You can realize the difference with a non admin profile and only if the OWD for the master object (Invoice) is Private or Public Read Only.

Thanks,

Dinesh Nasipuri

eswarsfeswarsf

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for your reply.I have another user with non-admin user profile and I set Sharing setting for Invoice object to 'Private'.

I logged in through non-admin user i can see Invoice object records where he is the Owner.

Kindly let me know in this case where exactly I can see the change because of that setting?

Thanks,

Eswar.

NasipuriNasipuri

To see the difference you need to First change the Field master detail setting as EDIT .

Then create a Master record by Admin, share the record to the non admin user as Read only.

Login as the non admin, try to Create a child record for that master record, system will not allow .

Set the Master Detail field as READ...

Do the same steps, now the non admin user will be able to create a related record for the Master record.

Thanks,

Dinesh

eswarsfeswarsf

Hi Dinesh,

Thanks for your reply.Kindly let me know where can I change  the Field master detail setting as EDIT or READ.

Thanks,

Eswar.

NasipuriNasipuri

Go to set up ..

Go to Create-- Object -- The child Object

In the Custom field section go to the Master Detail Field , Click Edit ...

There you will have a section Called "Master-Detail Options" 

You can have Radio Button to Select Read Only and Read/Write

Thanks,

Dinesh

sharath chandra parsisharath chandra parsi
HI Nasipuri,

I am logged in as a user with Read, Create and Edit access both on master object and detail object. OWD for the master object is private. Do we need Read/Write Sharing setting to create a record on child object from the related list of master object.

Thanks,
Sharath Chandra Parsi.